Chapter 29

As she stirred awake, Rainkit could scent another figure in the den beside her. The smell of Featherstem had become familiar, so she wasn't concerned by that, but the unfamiliar, uncertain scent that wavered around.

Opening her eyes, she blinked a couple of times to wake herself up, noticing the brown tom curled up in the nest beside her yesterday was barely a whisker away from her.

"Who are you?!" She shrieked in a high pitched voice that made her cringe. The brown tabby took a step back, amber eyes clearly unsettled in alarm.

"I'm Jaggedstrike." He answered honestly. Rainkit hesitated under his gaze, and suddenly everything came flooding back to her. As she gazed more intently, his eyes seemed to shimmer from amber to green.

"Are you sure?" Rainkit murmured to him, her fur tensing up slightly and her legs becoming stiff. Lifting a paw, she raised in forward to one of his legs.

"Yes. I am." The tom pressured, seeming to settle into a slightly annoyed demeanour. Eyes scanned her face intently.

Still, a prick of uncertainty raised in Rainkit's heart. His stance was tall, authoritative, and almost familiar to her. Shaking her head, as if to try and empty the panic from it, it still remained a heavy lump in her head.

His left ear was tattered to shreds, dried blood crowding around it. Crinkling her nose in slight disgust, Rainkit took a step back.

She attempted blinking to settle herself, really knowing that this cats eyes were amber and not green like she had seen previously. But no, his eyes were still the same lime green.

"I think BirchClan wants you back." He hissed slightly, and Rainkit was filled with recognition. Squeezing her eyes together and looking at the floor in disbelief, she hoped it wasn't true.

It's not him. You're just imagining him.

Gritting her teeth, she narrowed her eyes, glaring at the cat in front of her.

"Don't try and trick me, Duststar."