Chapter 14

Pondkit waved his grey tabby tail in frustration as he scented the herbs on the floor infront of him. The kit had been planning to become a medicine cat for a while now, it had always been bugging his mind. He didn't mind if he couldn't become a warrior. Fighting wasn't his favourite, either.

"That's chamomile." He reminded himself, tilting to the left. He placed his paw on the feathery stalk. Yes, chamomile.

A faint scent of sour infection could still be smelt in the medicine den. Pitifully, he wandered over to his sister, who gave a pitiful sniff and raised her head.

"My legs. They won't work properly, will they?"

Pondkit could sense Brackenkit's sadness, and he felt pity for the tortoiseshell. Her nerves were pinched at the spine, making her hind legs weak and feeble. At least she could still feel them, he thought with a little positivity.

"They will." He responded, knowing too well the awkward silence sat between them. "You just need to gain your strength up. Sitting around in a nest won't help you at all."

"I know that." Brackenkit pointed out stubbornly.

"You can try tomorrow." Pondkit answered quickly.

He was awaiting the arrival of AmberClan medicine cat, Softclaw, an aged golden tom with black flecks. His muzzle was spotted with flecked of grey, his whiskers powdered white.

BirchClan and AmberClan were in a good alliance with one another, surprising, as Duststar made enemies with usually everyone.

"Maybe Honeystar's just too oblivious to see it." He muttered out loud, going back to feeling around for stray leaves, which Hareleap has torn apart.

"Too oblivious to see what?" An unfamiliar voice spoke behind him. Pondkit whipped round, the grey fur on his back bristling. Claws slid out.

Even if he was young, he would defend. Taking a quick taste of the air, he realised with embarrassment it was Softclaw.

The yellow tom let out a rumbly purr, stepping towards the grey tabby. A rustling sounded behind him, and Pondkit could imagine a tom with black splotches attempting to step around the mess of leaves.

"What happened here?" Softclaw asked, a confused and dazed look on his face. He shook a stray leaf off his paw. "Who are you and where's Pigeonfrost?"

Pondkit's jaw dropped in shock. He knew when Duststar addressed AmberClan that they were in need of their medicine cat, that he would leave out a few sparse details. But not most of it!

"I'm Pondkit. The next medicine cat of BirchClan!" He announced proudly, puffing out his pale chest and turning his head to where he could hear Softclaw.

"Good for you kit." Softclaw purred, rubbing a paw on his back unexpectedly. Shocked at the touch, Pondkit jumped away into a pile of stray leaves.

"Pigeonfrost's dead." He muttered sombrely, imaging the other cats reactions. A loud thump sounded beside him, Softclaw trying to sit on his haunches.

"Bless him, he didn't deserve to die." Pondkit could hear his husky voice. "But you seem like a good successor, Pondkit, was it?"

"Yes." Pondkit responded, dipping his head.

"Well, let's get that brain full of herb knowledge." The older cat let out another chuckle. "And you'll be fine on your way to being the next medicine cat of BirchClan."