Chapter 56

A/N: Hi! I'm back with another chapter! They'll be published weekly every Thursday from now on, if some people weren't notified of it. This chapter is somewhat violent and gory in places, so I'm just putting a warning here.

Claws slashed and cats yowled. A battle that was certainly not expected from AmberClan. They were mostly neutral, had no enemies, what did they do to deserve this?

Wanda yowled as she launched herself at a blue grey she-cat, who rolled over and kicked her in the face with a hind paw.

"What do you want? Who are you?" The AmberClan warrior growled as she sprang to all fours, launching another hit to Wanda. The leader try not to wince as she felt the blood gather on her shoulder, but she sought the reason why she was here.

Revenge. That was it. Her group had been controlled, ripped to shreds by Duststar. Cats had died. Including her own daughter, Minnow.

Oh, how Wanda missed her. Her young daughter, so sprightly and full of happiness and optimism, amongst the rotten place she lived. Xander wouldn't really remember his sister, Minnow was only three moons old when she died, killed at the claws of Duststar.

"This is for my daughter." Wanda replied, narrowing her frosty blue eyes with determination. Her claws sank deeper into the side of the warriors throat, who'd began to wriggle with fear. But she couldn't escape.

"But I haven't done anything! I don't even know you!" The warrior protested before Wanda snarled. Quickly and brutally, she brought her jaws around the warriors neck, a splitting and familiar snap brought in succession. The metallic taste of blood pooled in her mouth and she spat it out, watching the limp grey body fall to the floor.

A grieving yowl came after, and Wanda twisted see a long furred black tom looking over at the body, horrified. "Kestrelfrost, no!"

He was about to run over to the body, in grievances of Kestrelfrost, but was stopped when he felt a heavy paw tread on his tail. A muscular golden tabby she cat glared back at him.

"I am Stem, and you will listen to me." Her voice was sweet and sickly will menace, and she walked over to him, a sharp gaze in her yellow eyes. "Unless, of course."

His eyes followed hers to the floor, where he gulped slightly. Razor sharp claws gleamed back at him. Without making a noise, he looked back up, and nodded mutely.

"Who are you cat, and what is your rank?"

"Smokeflight. Deputy of AmberClan, mate to Honeystar."

Stem looked him up and down, before seemingly coming to a decision.

"Follow me, Smoky."

To say the least, he was offended at being called Smoky, but the deputy didn't object. Slyly, the golden tabby she-cat beckoned him, leading him over to the familiar warrior den. He noticed some cats were already laying there, blood staining their pelts, causing fresh scars. Heatherwing was curled in the corner of the den, her pale eyes staring at the wall.

Smokeflight wondered what had happened to her. She didn't seem wounded physically. There were a few other cats in the den with him. Ashwhisker, his apprentice Briarpaw, Goldenpaw and two of the kits, Otterkit and Lightkit. Heart plummeting to his stomach, Smokeflight worried about the absence of his mate.

StarClan, please don't let her be dead like Kestrelfrost. Please, she's the only thing I have.

Smokeflight knew that Honeystar was a target. After all, she was the leader - and wasn't exactly as sprightly as a young kit no more. Neither was Smokeflight, himself either. He wondered what these strange cats wanted with them, perhaps take them to their rogue.. place? It was slightly baffling who the leader was, either the cream she cat who murdered Kestrelfrost, or the sleek grey tortie who'd commenced the battle.

Suddenly, his thoughts were disturbed by a ratty grey queen bringing in Dewypaw, the grey tabby apprentice quivering with fright and visibly shaking.

I failed to protect her!

Quickly, Smokeflight wrapped himself around the grey tabby apprentice, placing his head on top of hers and licking her ear in comfort. There was a secret that only he and Snownose knew. He was the father of Briarpaw, Goldenpaw and Dewypaw. It never worked out.

Snownose and him were like fire and ice. She was fiesty, he was level headed. She didn't want him to be the father figure, and rather the father be unknown. Admittedly, Smokeflight had been offended by that, but accepted that she wanted to move on with her kits, and so he moved on with Honeystar.

"What's going on?" Dewypaw croaked as she glanced up at Smokeflight with worry.

"I'm not sure." The deputy admitted, and peered out the den, horrified by what he saw. Surging forward, Smokeflight let out a howl, but Stem shoved him back, giving a glaring hiss and slicing his ear. He fell to the ground, ignoring the blood, and continued to watch, unable to do anything.

Rain and Honeystar circled one another, both giving one another sharp glances. Rain unsheathed her claws, green eyes piercing as the leader flared her nostrils.

"How dare you." Honeystar said. Her voice pierced the silent air, as sharp and chilled as ice.

"AmberClan is a neutral place. We have no need for fights. And here you are, surging our territory with unexpected attacks that non of us deserved! I have no idea if you are who you speak. Is your name really Rain?"

"It is" Rain growled, hackles raised as she looked up and down at the leader. It would be easy.

With a swift pounce, Rain grappled at the leader within her claws, who sent back a harsh kick at her stomach in retaliation. The tortie hissed in pain, eyes flaring with even more anger as she faced back to the leader.

"And you'll regret that."

Honeystar gasped in pain as Rain surged forwards, clenching her throat in her jaws. The old leader crumpled within her mouth, knowing there was no point in fighting.

"It's not my last life." She spluttered out one last response and felt a gnash of pain as her neck snapped. Honeystar's eyes glazed over as Rain preened over the body, in waiting for when the leader would awaken.

"If you do not obey me." Rain meowed, an edge to her voice. "That will happen to you too."

Vivid green eyes sent claws of anger in a glare towards the cats, who cowered weakly beneath the ravenous cat.

She had control over them now.