Chapter 50

Five cats gathered in the alleyway, their shoulders hunched as they discussed plans. One of them, not a Clan cat, gave a look of hesitance, his green eyes flashing with alarm.

"Raven, stay focused." Meadowtail said, a stern gaze directed to the skinny black tom. The BirchClan warrior was not sure yet if he could trust the young loner, hence keeping an eye on him from time time.

"We need to get Duststar's leadership taken away from him." Pondmist started afterwards, his face turning to a one of confusion. "But how?"

His words were directed towards Mistflower, who gave a small shrug. "Exilement would be best."

Rainpaw sat, listening in on the ideas that her Clanmates had to offer. She was seething with frustration at this point, angered that the only option they'd thought of was exilement for him. That would do nothing though! Duststar would simply just return back to BirchClan with a strange group of cats and attack them.

Stepping forward, the tortoiseshell apprentice made eye contact with all the cats in the group. "That wouldn't do! Think about it, Duststar would just return somehow."

Her mentor gave her a sharp look, and a Rainpaw hesitated for a moment, wondering if she should put her suggestion forward. "But he wouldn't be allowed back into BirchClan territory, or any other Clan territory for that matter."

Suppressing a hiss of annoyance, Rainpaw unsheathed her claws into the ground, shaking her head various times. She though the group would be better than this, instead of the stupid little petty ideas given out. Calmly, she flared her nostrils, announcing as clear as ice. "We kill him. That's the only option we have. He's better off dead, rotting in the Dark Forest anyway."

Silence.

Nothing.

No cat made a noise, only their eyes widened with shock. Rainpaw was confused for a second.

Why do they all look so horrified? We all want to get rid of Duststar!

Mistflower seemed to recover first, giving out a heaving gasp and shaking her head. With a few harsh steps, the curly furred she cat set her haunches down in long grasses, dark amber eyes horrified.

"We - I couldn't do that! I can't kill my own apprentice." The senior warrior continued shaking her head, before giving Rainpaw a knowing look.

Bitterness filled up inside of Rainpaw. Her own mentor was abandoning her! Without a word, she watched as Mistflower trod backwards though the grasses, and through the forest till she was nothing more than a white speck.

Right beside her, Meadowtail also shook his head, resting his tail tip on his shoulder. The ginger tom gave her an empathetic look. "I'm sorry Rainpaw, but I can't. I will stand behind you and stay in support, but I cannot kill in cold blood."

Frozen with shock, her ears pricked to hear Meadowtail also traipsing away, more slower than Mistflower had and more in sympathy and regret.

Ears flattening, the apprentice turned her eyes to the other two toms, giving them steely glares.

"You can't participate." Rainpaw hissed at Pondmist, her paw jerking to the route where Meadowtail and Mistflower has both left by. "Just leave."

"But Rainpaw-" The blind cat seemed to waver, his fur sticking up on his back in alarm. Rainpaw knew exactly what he was thinking. The medicine cat assistant would always look to help where he could, despite his blindness, and this usually meant acting spontaneously.

"No." Her voice was icy, yet a slither of regret still passed through. Pondmist nodded his head, accepting defeat, and trailed after Meadowtail, who was still visible a few fox lengths away, obviously watching the whole scene. When Pondmist approached him, the ginger tom placed his tail on the grey tabby's shoulder in a comforting gesture.