Chapter 22

Featherstem paced the den hurriedly, trying not to trip over her paws. Rainkit, as the kit had now told her name, was sat watching with wide, worried eyes.

"I need to get back to my Clan." She squeaked profusely as Featherstem approached to place another leaf wrap on her face. The grey tabby sighed. The tortoiseshell had said the same string of words repeatedly.

"Kit. I'm afraid you're not getting home anytime soon." The medicine cat tried to say as comfortingly as possible, placing a paw on her shoulder. Rainkit put her own paw on top of Featherstem's.

"Okay. I guess not." She shrugged, moving away from Featherstem awkwardly. Featherstem stood back, examining her injury more. She knew the tom had his outbursts, and was known for his strength and fighting skills. But this? She would think the leader had some morals.

"You're going with Yarrowbreeze in the nursery." Featherstem meowed, applying a last cobweb onto her face. She ushered Rainkit by her tail, a small smile flickering on her face as the kit's eyes widened. Then a painstaking sigh filled her.

Featherstem was never able to have kits, not just because of being a medicine cat and the code. So she took the position, so then the pain would ease slightly.

"Are there kits there?" Rainkit asked, then stopped herself from faceplanting. She got a nod in response. Grunting with the thought of sharing denmates, the tortoiseshell walked into the den.

"Yarrowbreeze, this is Rainkit. She'll be temporarily residing here until we manage to get her back to her Clan." The kit watched as Featherstem spoke to a kind ginger tabby, who had three bundles of fur smuggled at her side.

"Of course." Yarrowbreeze purred kindly. "You're the kit that Robintail was talking about earlier on."

Rainkit's green eyes flickered with confusion, but she nodded understandingly. The QuailClan nursery smelt strange. It was quite spacious, and homely, yet there was a strange tang that Rainkit didn't know of.

"They're the lavender flowers." The queen infront of her said as if she'd read the tortie's mind. Gently, she picked a purple flower from the wall of the den, and placed it on her ear.

"What's it used for?" Rainkit asked, slightly curious. She peered at the lavender stalk curiously, comforted by the smell of it. Suddenly, Rainkit let out a sneeze, causing one of Yarrowbreeze's kits to mew loudly.

Featherstem giggled, adjusting the lavender back into the BirchClan cat's ear. "It's used for chills and fever. Or to hide the scent of death."

Death. Rainkit thought, shaking slightly. There'd been a lot of that where Duststar was concerned.

"Who's that?" Jerking her head to the side, Rainkit saw a brown tom peering at her with huge hazel eyes.

"I'm Rainkit." She introduced, walking up to him confidently. He wrestled with Yarrowbreeze's grip for a heartbeat, before jumping out and pouncing on her.

Immediately spooked, Rainkit snarled, unsheathing her claws in defence at the brown furred tom. His eyes filled with confusion, and he backed away back to his mother.

"Well they don't say that BirchClan don't have spirit." Yarrowbreeze murmured under her breath, allowed her son to return back to her. She sent a small glare to Rainkit.

"Sorry. But that's what I do when I'm being attacked." Rainkit shrugged, staring back at the kit, who now came back to her.

"You've never play-fought or played mossball before?" He asked, mouth dropping in awe. His tail flicked as he went to the end of the den, grasping a moss-ball in his jaws and he ran back. "My name's Rabbitkit by the way."

The kit, or rather Rabbitkit waited expectantly. Coming back to her senses, she twitched awkwardly. "My name's Rainkit." She responded quickly, and patted the moss-ball tentatively with a paw.

"Are they your littermates?" Rainkit gestured over to the other three who were sleeping. A short-furred ginger kit, then a yellow-and-white kit, and a black and white kit, which Rainkit noted looked strikingly different from their siblings.

"Yeah.." Rabbitkit trailed off as he eyed the last kit. "Violetkit isn't actually my brother though. Yarrowbreeze is fostering him, like you."

Rainkit looked down at her paws, in sudden regret. She remembered Hareleap and the last time she'd seen her mother. Rabbitkit's next question hit her hard.

"Do you have parents? Littermates too?" As the brown kit asked the question, Yarrowbreeze and Featherstem seemed to stop muttering between themselves and tuned into the conversation.

"We were just about to ask that. Who are your parents, Rainkit?" Featherstem stood up taller. Although the tortoiseshell wondered why they wanted to know this. Maybe it was just so they'd know which cat to give her back to when they returned into camp. If they didn't, they could end up giving her to someone like Rowanface, on accident. Even though Hareleap would probably find her quickly enough after that, it was no doubt the deputy would taunt her a couple of times.

"I have a brother named Leopardkit." She answered honestly enough. "Three half sisters, Otterpaw, Pipertail and Spotwing. Three half-brothers, Reedpaw, Lightpaw and Quailwhisker."

Featherstem's has dropped in shock. She shook her head. Surely not?

"So your father is Rockheart?" The grey tabby asked, noticing Rainkit's face of confusion. If her mother was Hareleap, which it definitely was, then Rockheart must be her father.

"No. I don't even know who he is." Rainkit looked at them, her tail whipping from side-to-side. "If he was in my Clan, well he's now dead. My father is Pigeonfrost."

"But if Rockheart is your siblings father.. that makes you related to Duststar. Not biologically, at least, but through relations." Yarrowbreeze finally spoke, a weight coming off Featherstem's shoulders.

"Duststar's related to me?!" Her eyes widened in shock. It couldn't be true. But maybe it was.. Duststar's brother was Hareleap's former mate. Overwhelmed, she sat on her haunches, taking the news in. It was shocking to say the least. Especially since Duststar had scarred her for life.

"I don't think she knew." Rabbitkit butted in innocently, shaking his head at his mother. Yet as the queen and medicine cat let out small chuckles at his remarks, Rainkit turned away from them.

She couldn't take it in. Duststar was related to her. Taking in deeper breaths to calm herself down, she finally let herself think.

But who is Rockheart? I know he's Duststar's brother, but how'd he die? And if he hadn't, would Hareleap even be mates with Pigeonfrost?

A/N: So, Rainkit is related to Duststar! But who's the new guy, Rockheart? I'm having a blast introducing all these characters. The plotline is really starting in the story now.

See ya! <3

- Ember