Chapter 7

A/N: putting the A/N here since there's a cliffhanger. Don't wanna ruin the suspense!
See ya!
-Ember

Rainkit grunted as she was awoken to a thumping on her back. It was painful, where her wounds still lay from the other night.

"Who's there?" She hissed, not moving at all from her sleeping position.

The cat immediately stopped, Rainkit could feel the tension in the air.

"Sorry." The misty voice of Pondkit called, and Rainkit turned to face him. Even though the tom was blind, she still felt awkward as he looked in the direction at the flaky blood on her pelt.

"I smell blood." He announced, poking his muzzle out further to Rainkit in curiosity. The grey tabby was inches away from the deep wound on her flank, and she brushed him away, irritated.

"It's nothing." Rainkit couched, curling up her tail and attempting to hide the slash, even though he couldn't see it.

"Of course." Pondkit mewed back, dipping his head back and going to his nest, a wobble in his step. Rainkit couldn't help think that Pondkit knew something was up, but didn't want to interfere.

The tortie allowed her jaws to part into a yawn, then immense irritation filled her as Brackenkit walked into the den.

"I'm not happy with you, Rainkit." Brackenkit said harshly, standing in a defensive stance.

"Neither am I." Rainkit glared back, washing a paw in the process.

How am I going to attack her? Rainkit thought for a heartbeat, trying to remember what Duststar had guided her on.

"Irritate them more. This influences the battle, if they are angry, their anger influences their actions. So they aren't thinking properly, which gives you a benefit of attacking." Duststar leant down to Rainkit, a gleaming smile on his face.

Rainkit nodded her head, shuffling across the floor in excitement and slight doubt. She watched as the tom sneered at her, and immense confusion filled her.

"You're a mistake." Duststar spat in her face, making Rainkit wince. "You and your brother should've been shunned."

The tortoiseshell narrowed her eyes, slightly agitated. She knew he was attempting to make her angry as an example, but it felt like the taunts were real.

"Shut up." Rainkit said simply, pacing around the bigger tom. "It is not my choice where or who I am born."

Rainkit shook her head out the flashback, giving a cool stare to Brackenkit.

"Just a shame I've become good friends with a Pondkit." Rainkit smirked, getting up from her nest and pacing towards Brackenkit slowly.

The kit could see Brackenkit's neck fur begin to bristle, but she attempted to settle it. A piercing gaze in her green eyes showed slight anger.

"And your mother defends me. Not you." Rainkit nodded towards Brackenkit, her eyes widening.

"That's not true!" Brackenkit spat back, her tail fully fluffing up.

"Then how come she was yesterday? She spoke to me in the morning. I know you were listening. You thought you were some sort of spy, sneaking in on the conversation." Rainkit responded coolly, and flitted around quickly.

"After all, you are a mistake." Rainkit smiled sickly sweet at the tortoiseshell, who growled and pounced.

Remembering what happened yesterday with Duststar, Rainkit sidestepped out the way, almost being pulled over by Brackenkit, but managing to remain stably on four paws.

"You fox-heart!" Brackenkit yowled, lunging head on for Rainkit. "You are a disgusting cat! I didn't deserve to get punished, you did! You are a mistake you worthless piece of mousedung, and no one could give a toss about you!"

That was the final straw as Rainkit snarled back at Brackenkit.

"Come on then, if you're saying something, I might as well hear the whole thing!"

Brackenkit huffed, hitting Rainkit hard on the top of the head. The tortie felt a slight pain and headache, but ignored it as she scratched Brackenkit's muzzle.

"I'm glad your half-siblings are dead! At least they wouldn't have to meet scum like you!" Brackenkit screeched, bringing needle sharp claws back across Rainkit's flank wound.

Hissing in pain, Rainkit fell to the floor, flicking round. Red filled her vision, and she swiped, feeling her claws hit fur. There were continuous screeches, but she ignored them.

"Attack at all costs!" Duststar's harsh voice filled her mind. "If you don't do as I say, you will get major consequences!"

Rainkit shivered as his voice filled her mind, and she lowered her claws, breaking from her red vision. Her paws dropped and her eyes opened.

There was Brackenkit, a black and ginger body, tail splayed out behind. The tortie stepped back in shock, her legs shaky with fear.

Blood pooled... everywhere.

Around Brackenkit's body, and layered on Rainkit's paws.

Rainkit blinked in horror again, placing a paw on Brackenkit's body. No movement emitted from it, and she oppressed a screech of horror and disgust.

StarClan, what have I done!?