Chapter 55

Meadows and meadows of flowers blew in the breeze, the sun scattering amongst the various fields. A brown she-cat ran, her eyes latched onto a single dormouse creeping amongst the plants.

With a swipe leap, she caught the prey in her mouth, hearing the satisfied snap.

Then, a voice called amongst the meadow, calling her back over.

"Coming Ashwhisker!" She responded to her mentor, prey in mouth, fleeing back to the black tom.

"Congrats on the catch." He praised warmly, lifting his tail in the direction of the camp. "Honeystar wants us back at camp, something about two loners in the territory."

She let her claws knead into the ground at that. Briarpaw hated rogues and loners. Her father was a Clan cat, but he'd betrayed his Clan, and his mate, Snownose.

Oh, Snownose. I miss you.

Briarpaw sighed to herself. Her mother Snownose, had been killed barely half a moon ago by a badger. She sacrificed herself for a BirchClan warrior - and Briarpaw was sure the latter felt guilty. At least, the BirchClan medicine cat was extremely distraught over his inability to help her mother.

"Come on Briarpaw, you know not all outsiders are bad. And you would barely hurt a fly." Ashwhisker remarked as he walked beside her, and they walked back into the AmberClan camp.

"True." Perhaps her mentor had just insulted her, but Briarpaw was not a cat to resort to violence.

There were two cats talking to Honeystar, one was a skinny black tom with green eyes, and the other was a grey and white she-cat with ginger patches.

"I recognise her!" Briarpaw said to Ashwhisker, pressing close to his side in worry. "She was there at the badger fight, the cat that Snownose saved."

Ashwhisker looked down at his apprentice, before back to the two cats. "Rainclaw of BirchClan, if I'm not mistaken. Has quite the temper, she does."

She seemed nice enough after Snownose, sending her condolences and apologies...

If Briarpaw listened in further, she could almost make out their conversation between the three.

"Me and Raven here, we need a place to reside. We've been in the rogue place for a while now, but I'm expecting kits and I don't want to the kits raised there." Briarpaw listened as Rainclaw spoke, her voice slightly on edge.

"I understand. You do not wish for your kits to be raised where they may sicken easily. As once a mother myself, I can understand."  Honeystar responded, jumping down from the Meadow Hill and addressing the two cats. "You may stay in AmberClan for the time being."

With a flick of her tail, the tabby leader turned around and yowled loudly, catching the attention of all of AmberClan. Grassfur looked particularly startled as she walked out the nursery, making eye contact with Rainclaw.

"These two cats have come from rogue place, they have come here for a better life as Rain here is expecting kits, and Raven too, her mate."

Behind her, Rainclaw's ears flushed with embarrassment as she gave a sideways glance to Raven. She muttered , "he's not my mate," but to no avail.

"I don't think we have any other choice." Raven shrugged at her. "It's a good cover story anyway. If we want to somehow get this Clan on our side, well, this is it."

The conversation was stopped by Honeystar turning around. "You may go to the nursery, Rain. I'm sure Grassfur will make you feel welcome."

Rainclaw, (or "Rain") dipped her head to the leader, cringing at the idea of seeing Grassfur. The queen knew who she was, knew she was from BirchClan - and could possibly blow her cover.

As she entered the den, Rain was instantly overwhelmed by five bundles of fur running over to her, mewling loudly. She took a step back, blinking at the various kits keen to meet her.

"Kits, back!" Grassfur's sharp yell made the kits retreat back, keenly watching Rain with interest.

"So, Rain, is it?" The white queen said, her amber eyes fixated on Rain with curiosity. She flicked her tail, eyes still looking at her. "I have no idea what you're doing in an enemy Clan, neither with a random cat that is not a Clan cat and have changed your name."

"And I have no idea why you're in a forbidden relationship with my half-brother." Rain bit back, her green eyes harsh and piercing. That silenced the queen, who looked down at the five kits by her side.

Grassfur coughed awkwardly. "So kits, huh?
Congrats."

"Thanks." Rain trod over to a nest, prodding it with her paw. "Raven isn't the father. Pondmist is, and we're not in a relationship, before you criticise me, that was before he became a medicine cat."

"I wasn't going to." Grassfur shook her head.

"Good." Rain said, a slight hiss in her voice. Quickly and quietly the tortoiseshell slunk forward to Grassfur, the white furred queen looking bewildered.

"Because I'll tell you why we're really here. AmberClan is ours. I know you won't give up willingly, so we'll just have to do it forcefully." Rain growled, her green eyes treading down to the five kits, who were now sleeping.

"You wouldn't dare." Grassfur said, her eyes wide with horror. "It's only you and Raven, Raven doesn't even look that strong."

"But I would. Don't underestimate us. The group has defeated BirchClan in the past, and that's the strongest of the three Clans. Don't think we won't take over this Clan. It'd be simple."

She lay a paw on one of the kits, Heronkit, unsheathing her claws.

"Don't hurt him!" Grassfur hissed, pushing the tom kit away from Rain's sharp claws. But she knew she was in no way able to fend, she hadn't fought in moons. So she did what she could do best. Scream.

"Help! Please! She trying to kill Heronkit, she's trying to hurt-!"

Paws clamped around her mouth, and Rain gave her a devilish look, head whipping to look out the nursery, where some cats had approached in confusion.

"Rogue group, attack!" Rain's piercing screech rang out.

A/N: Welp, another cliffhanger. But a big battle is coming in the next chapter, so be prepared for that!

It feels weird writing Rainclaw as evil, because normally protagonists are the heroes but, well she's supposed to be evil. Be prepared to see Rainclaw develop into a villan in the next couple chapters.

See ya!
~ Ember