Chapter 54

Pacing and pacing around the den could not quell Rainclaw's upmost panic.

She was in disbelief - never did she think have a family, let alone expecting kits.

"StarClan bet my luck, out of all the times this had to happen - it had to be now." The tortie stood up, her claws seething into the ground in frustration. Let alone, she didn't want to be cooped up in the nursery for moons, neither did she want to raise a family under Duststar's leadership.

Rainclaw took her time to examine the empty camp, noticing a flicker of a figure at the far end of the camp. Her heart twinged in recognition.

"Rowanface!" Whisper-shouting, she called the former deputy's name, not wanting to be branded deluded by Galewing, who had taken up a curious look where he was lying down - at her shouting in the empty clearing.

Rowanface turned at her name called, hovering over to where Rainclaw was standing.

"Congrats on the news." She spoke fluidly, unaffected by Rainclaw's wary glance.

"You knew?" The warrior hadn't told anyone, unless...

"-you were spying on me!"

Her pelt spiked up in defence, and Rainclaw hissed at Rowanface. That wasn't fair! Rowanface shouldn't spy on her, even if she was a spirit.

"I overheard you." Rowanface said, her tone dropped flatly as her amber eyes pierced Rainclaw's green ones. "I took a guess at what Pondmist was going to say to you yesterday, and was going to comfort you. You're not the only cat to be unintentionally rejected." At that, the spirit looked at her paws and glanced sideways. "I once fell in love with a warrior - he was everything I wanted. Strong, devoted, and loyal. Only he saw our relationship only as friendship and became mates with another cat."

"Pondmist can't even do that. He's a medicine cat now." Rainclaw scoffed, rolling her eyes at the thought of the grey tabby.

"Someone's moody." Rowanface glanced Rainclaw up and down, before gesturing our the camp entrance. "You better get going to Wanda's rogue place."

"Aren't you coming with me?" In response, Rainclaw asked, and Rowanface gave a swift shake of her head.

"That's where I died, remember? I don't want to relive those memories, thank you very much."

Rainclaw thought she could see Rowanface flinch and shudder for a heartbeat, but she ignored it. Turning tail, she gave a small smile before pacing out of the camp.

She followed a familiar path that was trodden into the soil, passing past the rocks by the fast flowing river, not running a full sprint in fear that she'd trip. Rainclaw recoiled a little at that, green eyes narrowing as she surged at a faster pace.

What am I doing? I'm turning into a scaredy-mouse! For StarClan's sake Rainclaw, pull yourself together!

Quickly and swiftly, the grey and white she cat slunk through a hole in the fence, right into the territory of Wanda's rogue group. Wanda was already standing there, perched on a tall box, Xander (who Rainclaw had now worked out was her son), hovering below.

"We were expecting you." Wanda's blue eyes pierced to Rainclaw, who blinked owlishly, surprised at being put on the spot.

"Seriously?" Rainclaw raised an eyebrow, stalking over to the two cats. She looked up at Wanda, a questioning look in her eye.

"Yes." The leader jumped delicately down from the boxes, her look suddenly directed to the left. "Raven here told us of your plan to take down Duststar, the leader of BirchClan. Our rogue group has had, trouble with him in the past."

Then, Raven came around the corner, green eyes blinking sheepishly as his tail flickered.

"I though they could help. I know you didn't want help from me.. but yeah." The tom stammered, keen on looking at his paws.

"Where do we even begin?" Xander questioned out of the blue, and Rainclaw couldn't help but agree. She didn't really have much of a plan, except.. kill Duststar.

"I remember, when Duststar first took over this group, I was just a kit then, but he challenged the leader, Reed, for leadership of the group. He won, and eventually took control of all the group." Wanda inputted in thoughtfully, her eyes flicking over to Rainclaw. "We could do that."

"You can't challenge a leader for leadership.. it doesn't work like that in the Clans." Rainclaw took a moment to think. Although, it was a good plan, she had to admit. If someone was the leader of a Clan, got control of the Clan.. and fought against BirchClan..

"I've got it!" The tortie's sudden yell startled Wanda and Xander, who gazed at her inquisitively.

Narrowing her eyes, Rainclaw walked forward, beckoning Wanda and Xander to come in closer. "We can't challenge them for leadership.. but if we managed to gain leadership of a Clan, we could potentially gain control the Clan from the inside, and then launch a fight against BirchClan."

"Why not just fight against BirchClan as a rogue group?" Raven inputted quickly, and Rainclaw twisted her head to face him.

"This groups already failed before at fighting BirchClan. Plus, Duststar might gain allies from the other two Clans to fight against this group."

"We are fighting against your Clan here, Rainclaw. Aren't you worried for your Clanmates getting injured?" Rainclaw was asked by Wanda, and she paused for a second.

But had there really been anything for her at BirchClan? Pigeonfrost was dead, Hareleap wasn't particularly close with her. Leopardshade and her were polar opposites. Rowanface was dead. Reedspring was distant, Mistflower wasn't her mentor anymore - neither did she want to kill Duststar. And perhaps the worst blow, Pondmist- he was a medicine cat, he didn't need her anymore, neither could he be a father to her kits.

She was sure.

Her eyes narrowed, and she glanced at the three other cats, her voice cold. "No. There's nothing for me at BirchClan."

A/N: And.. Rainclaw's kinda just outcast BirchClan. Sorry for this being another filler chapter, but the next chapter will be important. I honestly don't know how many more chapters, but I can say the ending is in sight. I predict this book to be finished in August/September (That's simply because I'm terrible at uploading chapters).

Also I thought this song really fits Rainclaw:

See ya!
Ember <3