Chapter 47

Stars twinkled brightly in the sky, shining down upon the gathering of cats beneath it. They were tired, eyes weary with impatience.

"Come on, look a bit more lively." The new appointed deputy pressured, gnawing at her lip with worry. Her call was heeded by some cats, but others remained with heads down, ears flattened. Especially a particular group, Meadowtail, Pondmist and Rainpaw. The black she-cat had noticed them three being around more often with eachother, and was quite honestly confused.

Pondmist and Rainpaw she could understand, a weird sort of close friendship that the apprentice had with the warrior. She wouldn't be surprised if the two became mates when they were older. Then Meadowtail.

He's quite the cat. Darkwing flushed, ears flattening as she observed the lanky ginger tom. Forget stupid Applestream, this was the cat that made her heart soar, and who was a true friend to her.

Quick as a lightning bolt, Darkwing noticed the other two Clans flooding awkwardly into the gathering place entrance, and jumped onto Ridge Rock, trying not to fall off. This was her first time at a gathering since becoming deputy. Duststar was also already on the rock, and gave a roll of his eyes, before walking forward.

"Honestly, you're like a kit on ice!" The tom muttered under his breath, crouching down now, and grabbing one of her front legs with both his, claws unsheathed. Darkwing winced, as his claws slightly nicked her fur, but pulled her up with success. Just as she had managed to climb up, another two leaders followed afterwards, Slightstar, who gave a grimace as he passed the two, and Honeystar - the leader of AmberClan, giving more of a gentle nod.

"AmberClan will report first." Honeystar stated, flicking her feathery tail, gathering the attention of the crowded cats. "Hunting is all well and plenty of prey is in our territory. We have three new apprentices, Goldenpaw, Briarpaw and Dewypaw!"

Collective shouts followed afterwards, all three apprentices looking proudly, their chests puffed out, a ginger and white she-cat smiling at them proudly. Darkwing guessed that was their mother.

"Along with Grassfur kitted a litter of five kits, four toms and one she-kit. The toms are Eaglekit, Heronkit, Lakekit and Otterkit. The she-kit is Lightkit."

A mulling of joyful shouts wavered in the clearing once again, but Darkwing quickly noticed Hareleap's distraught face, barely more than a heartbeat it was there. Reedspring beside her gave a mournful look and a small smile. What did they have to do with these kits?

"BirchClan will announce next." Duststar butted in sharply, before the Clans had time to finish cheering previous. "Our deputy Rowanface was unfortunately murdered by rogues in TwolegPlace. I advise you keep an eye out for them if you are to ever venture into their territory. She has been succeeded by Darkwing."

Darkwing felt the fur on her back rise as everyone turned to glance at her on the Ridge Rock. So this is what it was like to be leader. Only a small brittle call interrupted the whole gathering.

Rainpaw, looking furious, snarling at Duststar. "Rowanface was not murdered by hapless rogues! It was you, you did it all! You poisoned Pigeonfrost, you killed Rockheart, you drowned Otterpaw and Lightpaw, as well as getting Spotwing exiled! What do you have against my family? Why do you hate us!?"

The gathering remained silent, so much that a cricket chirp could be heard. Pondmist attempted to comfort her, bringing his tail across her flank, however the tortie resisted, pulling away from the grey tabby tom.

"Come on then. Answer me!" Rainpaw's green eyes flashed with an anger that Darkwing had never seen before. She looked like she could kill. Forget that small frightened kit, scared about it why the Clan thought of her as a mistake. Even Darkwing was terrified.

"I have nothing against your family. Only a past quarrel with my sister, that got too out of hand. And there is no proof about the murderers of Pigeonfrost, Otterpaw and Lightpaw. They were all extremely tragic freak accidents that occurred many moons ago. It was not me who got Spotwing exiled, you very well know that I was not leader at that time, so it would not be in my authority to exile her. And-"

There was another interruption of Rainpaw who snarled again, stopped by Hareleap who rushed forward quickly, hissing at her daughter.

"I raised you better than this Rainpaw. When I told you to stand up against others, I did not mean that you accuse a leader of many murders! Especially my own children and also your siblings!"

Duststar shook his head, green eyes lifted, showing genuine sincerity, which no cat had ever seen before. "- and, yes. I did kill Rockheart. I was young and stupid, still sensitive from the missing presence of my sister, Cedarpaw. I became more and more bitter against it, until there was a major battle between the two. Rockheart came to me afterwards and asked what in the name of the Dark Forest was I doing? And I killed him. Right there and then, slashed his throat. Even though I knew he was soon to become a father to a second litter. I was stupid. Perhaps the only time I've felt remorse."

"- across your other murders!"

"Remorse is a strange thing. Immense guilt pressing down, but I've never felt that. Just a pressure to keep my head up and go with whatever happens. Even if it does end with death." Duststar's eyes finally locked with Rainpaw, who's green eyes responded with such terror. To others, that would look like she was finally realising the consequences of her actions. But Rainpaw knew. She knew.

That she was the next victim.

A/N: Ahhh I haven't updated this in like a month! But chapters will come more frequently, since my school has closed down. This was definitely and interesting chapter to write, more in depth of Duststar's past murders. (And yes, he does actually feel remorse for killing Rockheart, that wasn't a lie.)

See ya in the next chapter!
~ Ember <3