Chapter 42

A/N: So it's been quite a long time since the last chapter was released, but here's this one! It is a very lengthy chapter, and there is mentions of blood and some violence.
See ya <3
- Ember

Silence hung in the air after that. Only the gentle hum of yowls and hissed sounded behind Rainpaw as she shook the blood off her paw swiftly, droplets flicking everywhere.

With a last doubtful glance at Featherstem's fallen body, Rainpaw pressed her nose to the grey tabby's shoulder, crisp, cold fur making her shudder.

"Sorry." The apprentice spoke, her voice croaking with doubt, and her paws slackened as she attempted to walk, now fully aware of the burning pain on her face again. And with that she ran briskly out, now seeing that the third patrol had arrived in the battlefield.

Rainpaw barely avoided contact as she clashed with a young brown tabby warrior, and the two tumbled over and over, making her catch sight of Duststar locking Slightstar between his paws, the lanky leader looking tiny beneath his paws.

Hissing, she recognised it as Jaggedstrike.

"What are you doing, Rainpaw? I thought you were on our side!" The warrior grunted as he tussled with her, thrusting a paw at her flank.

"I was!" Rainpaw cried out, barely avoiding flooding out all of her emotions of the previous event out to him.

"You was. Isn't good enough." The tom finished, bringing another firm remark back to her, now scratching her shoulder deeply, which she winced at. Then again, the tortie couldn't say anything. She had killed his sister, although he didn't know that yet. It wasn't long before he would find out.

Just as she could feel another paw coming down to scrape at her shoulder, Jaggedstrike stopped. His breath hitched for a second, and the tom looked over to the side where Rainpaw had just emerged from.

The tortie closed her eyes, grief and guilt trickling through her as Jaggedstrike's jaw dropped.

There were no words spoken, but she could tell exactly what he was thinking from the sharp glare she received and the running of the warriors pawsteps to the medicine den.

Rolling over onto her stomach as Jaggedstrike got off her, Rainpaw kept her gaze lowered to the floor. The apprentice wasn't too sure if anyone had caught onto the absence of the medicine cat.

"I'm sorry." Her voice came out louder than expected, making the battling cats around her freeze. It was then that the she-cat assessed the situation around. Firstly, it was clear which Clan had lost the battle. Most of the cats pinned down were QuailClan cats.

As she looked to the side, Rainpaw noticed Duststar, a menacing gleam in his eye, and his claws were outstretched, already slicked with blood.

Just like mine. The apprentice noted, taking a glance down at her fully red paw.

As she glanced back, narrowed eyes, the tortoiseshell watched with horror as the leader brought his paw up, slashing it right across the right side of their face.

And then it happened. Two blood curdling screams filled the clearing at the same time. One no doubt off the cat who'd been attacked, another off Jaggedstrike. Rainpaw was confused when she felt a tail being placed on her pelt, looking up to see Darkwing looking at her sadly.

"Come on, Rainy. This is no place for an apprentice." The dark grey she-cat lead her away from the thicket wall of the medicine den, but she refused.

How could she just walk away from her doings like that? Clenching her paws, Rainpaw swiftly turned.

"I'm sorry Darkwing. But I'll see you back at camp." Rainpaw said firmly, much to the surprise of the older warrior.