Chapter 18

Pondpaw sighed heavily, knocking his head against the edge of the apprentices den in frustration. He was supposed to be a medicine cat!

"It'll get better." His brother, Torrentpaw, murmured, rubbing his tail against his back soothingly. Although the grey tabby pulled away, hissing defensively. Pondpaw had never really fitted in with his siblings, they were more like, acquaintances with him.

"How'd you know? A blind warrior on the battlefield? I don't think so!" Pondpaw scented out where his sibling was, the scent of confusion and concern filling the air.

"What are you saying? You're so lucky to get Duststar as a mentor!" Galepaw boomed, jumping over from where he was chattering with Swoopaw.

"If you knew what happened between him and Rainkit then you'd think otherwise." He murmured under his breath. Rainkit had told him everything about what had happened, and he'd decided to stay wary of the leader. Well now, the brown tom was his mentor.

"Why'd you trust her?" Torrentpaw blurted, then put a paw over his mouth in shock. Hesitating for a heartbeat, he put his paw down, twitching his head to one side. "I mean, why do you talk to her? If you know what I mean."

"I know what you mean." Pondpaw nodded, narrowing his eyes. Half the Clan must think Rainkit was a deranged killer at this point. To be fair, he couldn't blame them. Although for some reason, it seemed she couldn't be angry at him whatsoever.

Just then, a brown figure appeared at the entrance of the den, a smile on his face.

"Come along Pondpaw, don't you want to see the territory?"

"If you recall, I'm blind." Pondpaw hissed, turning to face Duststar. "So no, I won't be seeing the territory. I'll be sorting herbs with Softclaw." The grey tabby could feel the shock emitting off his brothers, but he continued walking, cursing under his breath as his shoulder caught a bramble on the side of the entrance.

"I need to train you Pondpaw. Won't you understand? If you have no fighting methods, you won't survive." Duststar said firmly. The apprentice was beginning to get on his nerves now.

"If you didn't know, Duststar. Not everything is about fighting and violence." He said, getting into a defensive crouch as he walked into the middle of the camp.

"Then how come you are friends with Rainkit? You know, the one who almost killed your sister!" Duststar pried.

"Because I know that was your doing!" Pondpaw was now getting sick of Duststar as he headed to  the medicine den. He wasn't afraid of the leader.  Suddenly, he was pushed back into the dirt. "You manipulated her, and now you're trying to do it again. But she hasn't fallen for it like you think she has."

Duststar's ear dropped. Then a menacing grin appeared on his face. "So she's been plotting behind my back has she?!" He growled under his breath.

It was then that Pondpaw gulped.

"Where is that damn kit?! She'll regret all of this. Plotting behind my back." Duststar growled, getting into a crouch, and looking around.

"Actually she wasn't plotting behind your bac-!" Pondpaw quipped, but didn't finish before Duststar had his claws at the blind tom's throat.

"You realise how easy it is to kill you?" Duststar shook Pondpaw by the scruff. "Don't try and tell her either, since you're my apprentice, you have to follow my rules. One step out of line, and-"

Duststar clenched at Pondpaw's scruff even harder. Panting for breath, the apprentice nodded weakly. He didn't want to die. Why had he been dragged into this?

"Because you're friends with Rainkit. Why'd you think?" Duststar hissed in response. Oops. Accidentally, Pondpaw came to the realisation he'd spoken his thoughts aloud.

Will I have to abandon her? Pondpaw's thoughts flashed through his head. He didn't want to, but maybe he would have to. To stop himself from blurting more secrets.

I hope you understand, Rainkit. I hate this. But I can't spill anymore secrets. Now Duststar's out for you, and it's my fault.

Pondpaw managed to pull back out of Duststar's grasp, running into the medicine den quickly. Out of breath, he sighed, his misty gaze staring at the sleeping tortoiseshell in the nest.

It's for your own good, Rainkit.

A/N: Haven't done one of these in a while have I? Rainkit's just been ditched by Pondpaw, but please don't hate him lol, he has his reasons.
On a random topic, I've really enjoyed reading Frostie_Fox's 'Turtlewillow's Journey', the book is complete and I really recommend you read it <3.

See ya <3
-Ember