chapter 20

wooyoung san

"you did what?" hyunjin gaped at him sceptically, sipping his iced latte.

"like i said," san repeated, stirring his own drink patiently, "i suggested to wooyoung that we go out before he meets my parents to get to know each other better."

"is that code for something? wooyoung doesn't... go on dates. did you hear him correctly?" hyunjin cocked his head, adjusting his fake accessory glasses.

"well, he does now. i asked my boyfriend on a date! what's wrong with that? he clearly said 'yes', too." san scoffed.

"wooyoung doesn't go on dates." hyunjin repeated, regarding san with wonder.  "you really are something."

"hm. well somebody had to," san continued, "so it might as well be me. that boy's actually a coward. you should have seen how nervous he was!"

"are you sure we have the same person?" the other laughed, while san rolled his eyes. "jung wooyoung went soft for you."

"and only for me." san grinned, his crescent eyes brightening the atmosphere.

the two sat in the café jeongin and somin worked in, the day after san's encounter with yeosang. he only felt gratitude towards hyunjin for being such a good friend, but he also felt slightly guilty.

was he replacing his old friends too easily? no. he shook his head at his own thoughts. i'm not the one being petty and refusing to apologise.

"gossiping about me?" wooyoung suddenly appeared behind san's chair, throwing his arms around the surprised boy's chest and leaning over him with a smile.

"no." san hit him playfully, making a face at hyunjin who was smiling at him suggestively.

"sit here, i'll get myself another chair." he got up from his own quickly and patted the seat insistently.

wooyoung obliged and immediately propped his chin on his hands and stared intently at hyunjin, to which san snorted and went to find a spare seat.

a waiter with his back to them was scribbling on a notepad, leaning lazily against a counter. the café wasn't too busy, so he didn't have much to do.

"excuse me?" san tapped the boy on the shoulder, to which he responded by spinning round on his heel in surprise and bowing out of habit. it was jeongin.

"oh! san?" san laughed at the younger's actions, leaning down to pick up his dropped notepad.

"sorry," he apologised with a smile, greeted by a bright one from the young waiter.  "could i have another chair? my boyfriend showed up randomly."

"your- yes! sure." jeongin scuttled behind the counter and returned with a chair, placing it carefully at their table before standing politely. "can i get you anything?"

the question was directed at wooyoung, but the boy didn't respond, leaving jeongin awkwardly waiting there while biting his lip.

san came to stand next to jeongin, answering for him."he'll have a coffee." he smacked the other on the arm lightly before adding to the younger, "black, like his soul."

jeongin nodded and left them, his previously toothy smile reduced to a tight lipped attempt. when he was gone, san sat down, giving wooyoung a meaningful glance.

"he's just my friend."

"i know. i was having a staring contest with hyunjin." he blinked vigorously, eyes wet when he acknowledged san.

pouting childishly, wooyoung clicked his tongue sadly. "you know i don't like black coffee."

"i know." san affirmed, smiling at him as hyunjin laughed.