chapter 27

wooyoung san

with quivering hands, he picked up his phone to see who was causing its annoying ringing.

the room was dark, hyunjin sound asleep next to him after returning having cooled down and giving him a hug and mumbling words of comfort that sent san into another round of unappreciated emotions.

unsurprisingly he had been unable to sleep, and sat cross legged on the bed next to hyunjin's curled body, the other's back pressed warmly against his knee.

he allowed a few pointless tears to trickle down his cheeks silently, but was shocked out of his moping when his phone vibrated and sang against his thigh.

upon seeing it was his mother, he sniffed feebly and wiped his eyes so he could answer calmly while pretending everything was okay.

"h-hi mom!" he cleared his throat, wincing at the high pitch of his voice.

"honey, i'm calling because your dad's getting impatient." her tired distorted voice came from the other side of the line. "you can't keep postponing this dinner."

fuck, the dinner. he had forgotten in the midst of everything. "yeah, sorry mom, but-"

"no buts, sannie." she sighed, obviously frustrated with him which ignited more guilt and burnt away his slight impatience with her. he couldn't imagine what she must have gone through with his stepfather trying to get him to accept the way he was.

"you agreed to this, so there's no going back. your dad cares about you despite what you think, and i think if he sees with your boyfriend he might realise it's no different from if you were to being home a girlfriend." his mother continued optimistically.

funny how she thought jongun would accept him that easily. maybe she really did get through to him, after all.  "alright, mom. i won't reschedule. tomorrow, then?"

"thanks, honey. i'll tell your dad. we'll get the chefs to prepare something special." his mother replied, and san could almost feel her relief at not having to tell jongun that her son had yet again postponed the dinner he reluctantly agreed to yet expectedly anticipated.

"sounds... great, mom." a smile briefly appeared on his lips that she couldn't see but hopefully sensed through his words. "goodnight."

he set the phone down slowly, staring at its blank screen for a few moments with wide eyes, wondering what possessed him to agree.

san really dug himself into a deep hole this time. what was he going to tell wooyoung?

hey, i know we're sort of off right now and you, like, assaulted me, but come to dinner as my perfect boyfriend?

no, that was not going to happen. but one way or another, he had to get the other to come to dinner with him tomorrow and meet his parents. not to mention appear as the picture perfect boyfriend to set the standard and represent gay guys everywhere.

sounded a little extravagant, but this was literally a test for his ultimately homophobic stepfather to finally see there was nothing wrong with him, or anyone else attracted to members of the same sex.

and so he would do it. somehow, he would get wooyoung to agree to pretending to be an amazingly happy couple tomorrow. they would paste smiles on their faces, hold hands and act totally fine.

they would do that if it meant san could stop feeling like a criminal in his own household.

however selfish he felt to put aside wooyoung's feelings in this, san felt sure the other would agree to it if it pleased him.