The Date

Hawkins, Indiana
Tuesday May 14th 1990
3:55 pm

Richie and Mike were walking down the street, on the way to the arcade. The plan for this date was to do something that each girl liked doing. For example, Max likes the arcade, so they'd spend time there. It was Lucas's idea.

"When did you and Jane become a thing?" Richie asked.

"We aren't dating, we just... like each other."

"What about Lucas and Max?"

"Don't know. I'm not happy with that."

"I'm not happy with any of this."

"Oh, c'mon, Rich. Don't you want a girlfriend? You've never had one before, Makayla seems cool based off what Jane said."

"I don't."

"Why have you been so grumpy?"

"I'm not."

"You seem irritated."

"I don't want to be going on a date with this girl."

"Richie, at least try to loosen up."

They reached the arcade, walking in and meeting up with Max, Jane, Lucas, and Makayla.

Makayla was a very pretty girl, she was in the culinary arts class, cooking food for the cafeteria. She has shoulder length brown hair, light brown eyes, and was almost the same height as Richie.

"Richie!" Jane yelled. "This is Makayla, Makayla, Richie." She introduced.

"Hi." Makayla smiled.

"Hey." Richie mumbled.

Everyone wandered off playing random arcade games, at some point Jane and Mike left to play some PAC Man, and then Lucas and Max left to play Ski Ball, leaving Richie and Makayla.

"So, you don't have a girlfriend?" Makayla asked.

"Nope."

"Odd, I think you're the more attractive twin."

"I agree." Richie nodded.

"And yet, you're still single. That's sad."

Richie wanted to tell her how he was in a relationship, he wanted to tell her to get out of his face, but he wouldn't. He didn't want to ruin Mike, Jane, Max, and Lucas's date. He remembered what Eddie told him, about what she can't do. He wasn't going to let her do anything.

"The arcade is so boring, such a boy activity. How could Max like this? What a bizarre girl."

Richie stayed quiet. Makayla walked them over to a table.

"So, Richie, tell me about yourself." Makayla smiles, sitting closer to Richie, their arms touching. Richie moved over, moving if she moved.

"There's not much to tell."

"Well, Mike seems like the smarter one, so what about you? I bet you have a lot of talents." She moved over quickly, rubbing a finger along Richie's hand.

Richie moves again, put his hand under the table, out of her reach.

"Why do you keep doing that?"

"Doing what?"

"You're not talking with me and you're not letting me flirt with you." She rolled her eyes. "We're supposed to be on a date."

"Listen, Makayla, you seem like a nice girl, but I don't want to be on this date. I don't want to flirt with you, and I don't want you touching me." Richie shook his head.