Dance in Derry

Derry High School, Derry, Maine
Tuesday June 11th 1992
8:37 pm

The Losers sat at a table, clothed with white table cloth. Everyone was chatting, instead of dancing.

"Why the fuck is Greta dressed like this is a ball? This is a high school dance." Beverly glared, her eyes looking disgustingly at Greta, who wore a huge pink dress.

"Maybe she wants to feel like a princess?" Eddie suggested. Eddie still felt terrible. He hadn't told any of the losers yet, but the feelings were eating him inside. He didn't want to be at the dance, but he went because the losers were looking forward to it, and if he canceled, they would too. They'd go to his house worried about what was wrong, then, he'd have to tell them that Richie hurt him.

"She surely acts like she's one." Stanley rolled his eyes.

The spotlights soon started to dim, making the entire gym dark, then the lights turned into soft colours as slow music started to play.

"Oo! Come on, Ben! Dance with me!" Beverly smiled, standing up and grabbing Ben's soft hands and pulling him toward the dance floor. Bill and Stanley soon joined them, while Eddie and Mike stayed behind at the table.

"Don't you just hate slow dances?" Mike asked with a soft chuckle. Eddie looked at him with sad eyes. Everyone knew how Mike wanted a relationship, he'd be great at having one too. He's sweet, charming, humorous, caring, friendly, and just plain spectacular. But no one at the school even looked in his direction without saying rude things. "I mean, they shouldn't even have these types of dances. Not everyone is with someone, ya know?"

"Yeah..."

"Like, they force people like me to just sit here and watch people who actually have people dance and be happy."

"Mike, stop being so sappy. One day you'll find the perfect person, they'll love you and then you'll want to slow dance with them." Eddie smiled.

"Yeah, but like, I don't have one right now. That's the issue."

"Yeah.. well, want to go get some snacks or something?"

"Sure." The two stood up, walking around the dance floor and over to a long table. The table hold many snacks, ranging from cupcakes, punch, cakes, vegetables, fruits, candies, etc. The boys grabbed plates, and picking whatever snacks made their mouths water. After, they collected a glass of fruit punch, then walked back to the table.

They are at least two of their options before the slow dancing came to an end, the lights went back to how they were before, and the music was upbeat. The four dancers walked back to the table, taking a seat.

"Sorry we left you guys." Ben said, pushing his chair in.

"It's fine. You're supposed to enjoy yourselves." Eddie smiled, biting into a piece of cantaloupe.

"Why didn't you invite Richie to come?" Beverly asked, taking a strawberry off Eddie's plate.

"Oh. Well, he has school, and... ya know, why would he drive up just to dance?" Eddie answered, eyes down on his plate of food.

"Oh." Beverly nodded.

"Did Greta change outfits?" Stanley asked. Everyone averted their gazes to the seat that Greta sat in. Her clothing had changed from the huge pink dress to an even bigger blue dress.

"That dress is even bigger? Why would she change?" Eddie replied.

"Why'd she e-even have a s-second dress?" Bill shook his head in disappointment.

-

The group now danced the floor, laughing at the others moves, and copying each other. The night was just right, they were living in the moment, having fun and enjoying each other's presence. Even though sad, Eddie still smiled and was happy to have the thought of Richie getting wiped away. These were the people that actually matter, these are the people he loved, and will always love.