Chapter 7: Promises

Thana arrived shortly after the carnage with four royal guards

Thana arrived shortly after the carnage with four royal guards. They effortlessly scooped the witch bitch off of the floor and left me to myself. My arms covered in the blood of a traitor. And my mind reeling with the sight of Kato's face.

I paced wildly around the now decimated library. My thoughts racing feverishly. What could Kato possibly be thinking after the sight of this madness? Was this the end of this blooming relationship? Why did Celeste attack me? Is there something more sinister at work in my coven? Have I lost all chance at humanity? At love? Am I doomed to be alone for an eternity with a target on my back?

I no longer cared why Celeste attacked me. What mattered most to me now, was Kato. Those disappointed eyes filled the emptiest spaces in my mind. And I began to feel anxious. I needed air. Fresh, fresh air. I wandered out of the wreckage of the library towards the courtyard. Accompanied only by the echoes of my footsteps, the hallways somehow seemed lonelier than ever. And the walk seemed like more than a few lifetimes.

As I made it to the large door, I placed my hand on the cold metal and it stung my palms. The pain felt wonderful. And I deserved it. This desire, this longing that I have for Kato has me questioning my past decisions. Some of the heartless and malice actions I've done. And were they justified? Have I been doing everything right, or wrong?

I finally mustered up the strength to push the large door and free myself from the walls of the palace. As it opened slowly, I inhaled the oxygen from the outside. Some of the weight was lifted off my shoulders.

The cool breeze teased my nose as I walked down the rows of bushes. The fresh snow crunched beneath my feet and covered the intricate stone path to the frozen fountain in the middle of the garden.

The frigid air was intense. Almost as if the outside had correlated the actions with the indoors. I could feel the blood flow decreasing in my face, but I was too upset to care. Another tickle of the wind, and a sneeze echoed and bounced off the black stone castle walls.

"Bless you," a soft seductive male voice sang. That voice. So familiar. So warm and full of light. I know that voice. I twirled around to see Kato with a wilted red rose in hand. Oh shit. What is he doing?! My body couldn't move. I don't know if it was from fear, shock, or both.

Did he have magic too? Was this some kind of a spell? A trick? I've had enough foolishness for one day, god help me. He stepped closer and my heart jumped, startling me. He was so close, yet so far away. What is he here to say to me? Or do? I'm utterly confused.

Then the words fell from his lips, "I was wrong to judge you. That was not my place," He smiled and held out the wilted rose.

"I..." I couldn't talk. This was all so new. No one had ever given me a gift. Not like this. Most people would see a wilted rose and think it to be nothing more than an eyesore. But this one... This one was different. It still had some color. Some life in it. It wasn't quite ready to give up. Not just yet. It was me.