Chapter 8: Honey

I felt lonely as I enclosed myself in my king size bed

I felt lonely as I enclosed myself in my king size bed. Pulling my draperies that flowed from the top of my bed, down to the floor like that of a rushing waterfall. It was time to sleep. The day had been long, and quite eventful.

The touch of Kato still lingered on my skin. His warmth slowly fading. I couldn't believe that I confessed my deepest thoughts and feelings not only to him, but to Thana as well. Would she ever forgive me for the pain I caused her? Would our relationship be the same as it always was? Or will she see me differently?

As sleep evaded me, nightmares took over. Thana's face played in my head on a loop. The guilt. It was immense. I couldn't help but think I made the wrong decision. What have I done? As questions and fears swirled my mind, it eventually grew tired. And I drifted off into slumber.

When I woke the next morning, that guilt still kept me company. Cuddling me. Its presence squeezing tighter and tighter, making it to where I felt as if I couldn't breathe.

Maybe I should stay here all day. In my chambers and in my bed. Away from noise and judgement. Forgetting my responsibilities. My Court. I mean, who cares? The ungratefulness of my subjects is always present and knows no bounds. Why do I even try with those piss ants?

No. I had a job to do. I couldn't let my emotions cloud my senses like the others. I had to get up. And I had to try and make it through the day. One step at a time. I sat up and unwillingly rolled out of bed, onto my feet groggily. I grunted as I pushed back the curtains of my windows. The blinding light from my window rushed in. I squinted my eyes and they adjusted to a brutal reckoning of a new day. How lovely, I thought sarcastically.

I didn't even bother to look at myself in the mirror. I didn't want to know or see the person I had become. Not to mention, I must look like utter shit in the morning. This person... She was weak. And caring. And thoughtful. And in love? This Morina was everything I hated. And somehow... I was still somewhat happy.

A small light hearted knock came from my door and Thana gracefully walked through. Her presence, for the first time ever, frightened me.

"My Queen," she said with such formality, as if we had never met. It pained me, but I did not question her. We will each deal with this in our own way. But I wish... I wish I knew how she was handling this.

"How are you this morning?" I blurted, not exactly knowing what to say.

"I've had better ones. The gremlins have been taunting the dryads in the surrounding woods. King Aries is not too thrilled by the blatant attacks from our Court on the Light Fae," she said exhaustedly. So chatty. But at least she's talking to me. That's what means the most to me. Although, that was a lot of... How do I say this? Shit I don't care about.

Is she just going to pretend that the acts of last night didn't occur? Do we go on and deny ever seeing each other last night? I change my mind. I do care. I need to talk to her about this. It's eating me up inside.