Chapter 18: Reunion

Khalida hesitated for a brief second as we held each other's gaze, trying to figure out our next moves

Khalida hesitated for a brief second as we held each other's gaze, trying to figure out our next moves. I don't know if it was the pregnancy or just a change in character, but I veered toward the small child. I could tell his father didn't want me talking to him, but when has that ever stopped me. I defy him to tell me what to do, I'll gladly rip his soul out.

I kneeled closer to the boy and the father became more apprehensive. I kept my guard, but I also remembered I was in front of a child and I didn't want to frighten him. I gave the father a stern look, and he did everything in his power not to look me in the eyes. Wise decision.

I broke the silence as I smiled at this beautiful, confused little one. I could see the pain in his eyes. "Hello little raven child. What has you so upset?" I uttered lightly. To my surprise, the child didn't run in fear. But the father became increasingly worrisome in the face.

No amount of years lived would prepare me for what words came from his sweet lips. "I'm here because my dad thinks I'm broken. He asked the nice lady to fix me so he can love me again," he said with tearful sincerity.

I scrunched my brows in befuddlement. I saw nothing wrong with the adorable, tiny creature. His kind demeanor. Politeness. I looked up at the father and could see he was angry. Coincidentally, so was I. I'm no expert, but I didn't feel that child was safe with the likes of that man. He may be the one who is in fact, broken.

I knew something needed to be done with this man, and I looked to my sister for reassurance. She nodded. Giving me the calming comfort, I needed. But what the father did next didn't ease my initial reaction.

He quickly grabbed the small boy by the ear and yanked him forward as if he said too much. For the first time since Thana, I felt sorry for the heartbroken child. He just wanted his father's love and acceptance. It made me think of my childhood. A dark, if not the darkest period of my life. Always waiting for my mother to show me an ounce of warmth. Intimacy. Attention. With no father, she was all I had. And I didn't even have her. I then thought of Kato. A childhood lacking the love it deserved.

A sudden realization hit me as I placed my hand over my growing stomach, would I do the same? Would I follow in my mother's footsteps? Would I carry on her cruelty?

My sister's voice snatched me back to reality as she scorned the little one's father in a tongue, I never heard uttered before. I watched proudly as she grabbed the raven child and wiped the tears from his cheeks. As Khalida bent down with the gentle grace of a floating feather, she whispered something to the effeminate boy that made him look at her adoringly. His smile made me elated.

She turned to his father and I finally recognized who he was. It was Aleister. Leader of the Raven Guardians, protectors of humanity and The Shadow Realm. A man revered in our land. If only the people really knew him. Unknown words of authority spilled from my sister's lips and fluttered about the room as it soared on the breeze of the sea.