Chapter 15: Prophecy

A loud voice awoke me from my slumber

A loud voice awoke me from my slumber. As I rubbed my eyes, I turned my head to see Morina missing from our bed. Maybe she's using the bathroom, I thought. A rush of noise came from downstairs. Heavy, marching footsteps and weapons clattering against armor. Suddenly, I was wide awake.

I quickly hopped out of the bed and threw on some pants. I hastily ran out of the room and down the eerie hallway. The pitter pattering of the creatures lurking in the darkness were of no concern to me. The only thing of the utmost importance to me was Morina, and her safety.

I carefully ran down the stairs and head outside to the entry way. Morina stood there, with none other than Thana. She was finally back. Those two days not seeing her around the castle were odd. And it affected Morina most. She was worried sick.

I exhaled a sigh of relief and walked down the steps to meet the side of Morina. Thana pushed passed me and a stinging sensation shot up my arm. Her deadly flesh sliced into mine. I gripped my shoulder lightly and let out a low curse. Damn that hurt.

I quietly winced in pain and looked back at her as she made her way through the large onyx doors. Although I know she didn't mean to cause me harm, an apology would've been nice. Oh well.

I looked to my side at the beautiful Fae Queen surrounded by a sea of guards. I could see the hurt in her eyes as Thana dismissed her and stormed into the castle. It was so unlike her. I had never questioned Thana's loyalty or obedience when it came to Morina, until now. There was obviously something bothering Thana. And as much as my curiosity peaked, when the time was right, she'd talk.

I stared at my stunning mate and gave her an encouraging smile. But she didn't return it. My heart sank. It felt like it was being squeezed by her soft and dangerous hands. She glided past me and headed into the castle. I knew she was determined to find her childhood friend.

I waited behind for a few moments. This was a personal issue. One that I have no standing or jurisdiction in. It's best if I just stay out of it. I then deeply wished I had followed her inside. Amidst all the chaos, I didn't even notice that Ken was at the bottom of the stoop.

I rolled my eyes in irritation. He seemed different. Besides his total disregard for everyone else, he almost seemed as if he had the same walls that I once hid behind. I wonder what his story is. I'd ask, but after a short while I'd want to kill him.

He was just standing there. Staring at me. His male bravado was getting on my nerves. It was almost as if he was brooding or moody. It reminded me of how I let my past hurt me. As I was studying him, I quickly became bored.

I decided to go back inside. I stumbled onto the uneven slabs and slipped into the shadows that seemed to swallow the hallways and rooms. As I quietly strolled in the blackness, I had an instantaneous realization. I had been living in this castle for a year's time, and I've never gone exploring it.

I kept walking down the barely lit corridor as I turned down the familiar hallway. I came upon a door that I stood at months ago. I remembered the night vividly. It was the night I first seen Morina use her powers on Celeste. Even when I seen her at her worst, she exuded a strong energy of strength and goodness.