Chapter 23: Mother

The sun seemed so much brighter on this gloomy day

The sun seemed so much brighter on this gloomy day. I lifted my arm to my head as a visor so I could adjust my eyesight. The more I moved around the better I felt. The witch said I would heal in no time, but to make sure I got plenty of rest when I got home.

          As we walked out the nearly broken door, I could see a shifter waiting for us. "I hope all went according to plan. My Alpha has asked some of my fellow pack members to accompany you on your journey. He's still not feeling well, and the witch now has him on bed rest. Most think the night is when to be most fearful of the woods, but the truth is this deep in the forest you never know what could be lurking," he spoke with his rugged, masculine voice.

          Well, the carriage is no longer an option for the moment. I didn't really want any company. Ken was enough to deal with. But I guess it couldn't hurt to have some extra backup. Maybe not just for the trip either. King Aries is up to something and I need all the brute strength I can muster.

          "I will accept your hospitality, but I must ask you a question," I began to make a proposal.

          The scruffy man looked intrigued, "Please Your Majesty, go ahead."

          "What will it cost for some of your pack?" I asked bluntly.

          He looked at me confused and somewhat offended, "Your Royal Highness, we are not animals or items to just be sold. People can leave the pack at their own accord. Contrary to belief, we are a very free willed community. Our Alpha wouldn't be too thrilled, but our family is always growing."

          I nodded in understanding, "Okay... Can I pick the two that travel with us?"

          He nodded his head and motioned toward the pack members, "Take your pick Mam."

          I looked at them all up and down. If I looked judgmental, it wasn't on purpose. Well, maybe a little. I didn't want any weaklings. I noticed a burly, perfectly haired man standing at attention. I liked obedience. As I went over to get a closer look, I noticed he was incredibly muscular. Full beard, crimped hair to the end of his neck, and tribal tattoos. He was handsome, but not as handsome as Kato. I looked into his deep emerald eyes, and tapped his shoulder, "You, come with me."

          He bowed and stood next to that idiot Ken. I went further down the line and automatically knew who else I wanted. Saphira. There was something about her when we first met, I just knew I needed to keep her close. She was gorgeous, and I could tell by her stance she was a master fighter. "Saphira, you come too," I said.

          The interim leading shifter growled, I turned back walking towards Ken and the handsome wolf I chose. Uh oh. What have I done? I took my distance as Saphira approached the angered wolf. As they spoke, he looked to me with anger hidden in his eyes. Oh my, I thought. The last thing I need is more enemies. He looked back to Saphira in her brown eyes, hugged her and smiled. He stepped back, allowing her to pass.