Chapter 3

That night, I snuck out of the tree while Raven was asleep and made my way to a small bar at the edge of town. I made this trip often but my sister doesn't know. I have to make us money somehow so I sing for the patrons. Fortunately, my boss is a kind older woman that helps me out whenever she can when it comes to my paycheck. The small bell on the door chimed as I entered the homey restaurant and the greets of the regular patrons filled the air. 

"Hey, girlie. That time of the week again," my boss' husband, Miles, clapped me on the shoulder gently. 

"Yes, sir. It's that day again. If possible, I'll also be here Wednesday and Thursday nights." 

"That would be wonderful," he smiled at me. "I'm sure Diane would love you singing here more often." 

"She's certainly an angel," his smile softened. 

"Well, I'm no angel but I would love our star girl here taking more shifts." Diane hugged Miles from behind and kissed his cheek. I smiled softly at the pair. They've been married for over forty years and are still madly in love with each other. It gave me hope for my future. "Go on and get ready for your songs, love." 

"Alright. I'll be back soon." I headed to the staff area and changed into a spare set of clothes that I always kept here. As I was changing, it felt like I was being watched. It made me uncomfortable but somehow safe at the same time. The gaze felt familiar. Once everything was ready I made my way to the small stage in the bar. As soon as I stepped up to the microphone all of the patrons whooped with excitement. 

"What ya gonna sing tonight, beauty," one of the younger customers called out to me. I simply smiled at him and all of the others who were asking the same thing. Hooking up a music player to the speaker system, I started the song. 

I will keep quiet
You won't even know I'm here
You won't suspect a thing
You won't see me in the mirror
But I crept into your heart
You can't make me disappear
Til I make you

I made myself at home
In the cobwebs and the lies
I'm learning all your tricks
I can hurt you from inside
I made myself a promise
You would never see me cry
Til I make you

You'll never know what hit you
Won't see me closing in
I'm gonna make you suffer
This hell you put me in
I'm underneath your skin
The devil within
You'll never know what hit you

I will be here
When you think you're all alone
Seeping through the cracks
I'm the poison in your bones
My love is your disease
I won't let it set you free
Til I break you

You'll never know what hit you
Won't see me closing in
I'm gonna make you suffer
This hell you put me in
I'm underneath your skin
The devil within
You'll never know what hit you

I tried to be the lover to your nightmare
Look what you made of me
Now I'm a heavy burden that you can't bear
Look what you made of me
I'll make you see

You'll never know what hit you
Won't see me closing in
I'm gonna make you suffer
This hell you put me in
I'm underneath your skin
The devil within
You'll never know what hit you

The devil within
You'll never know what hit you

As soon as the song ended everyone burst out with cheers. The same guy who asked me what I was going to sing wrapped his arm around my shoulder. He stood about five inches taller than me, had red hair and sharp, grey eyes. I could smell alcohol on his breath but he looked to be about my age, 17 to be exact. I shrugged off his hold but smiled at him nonetheless. I still felt the strange gaze but this time, it wasn't directed at me. Just in my general direction. As per requested, I sang a few more songs. After each song the boy attempted to flirt with me. I always shrugged him off. Before I knew it, it was closing time. 

"You did wonderful, Dove," Diane complimented me. 

"Doesn't she always," Miles smiled at his wife. "We call her our star girl for a reason, dear." 

"That's true," the older woman smiled and took out a small wad of cash. "This is for tonight. There's a little extra there for your sister as well." 

"Really?" I felt my eyes widen. "You know you don't have to do that, Diane." 

"Piss and poppycock. I know that you both need it. I'd feel better knowing this money is going to someone who needs it instead of sitting in the tip jar." I felt my guilt grow. 

"You took this out of the tip jar?" 

"Don't you worry about it. You've been such a help for our business. We both thought this would be for the best." Miles lifted my chin and had me look him in the eye. "Don't look so guilty and take the money. Diane and I have talked this over." 

"But what about you two? Don't you guys need the money?" They both shook their heads. 

"If it bothers you this much then how about we do this?" Diane got out a large jar and cut a slit into the lid. She then took a slip of paper and wrote in sharpie, 'Tips for Dove!' "This will be for you. Your hard earned money for both you and your sister. Certainly you can't say no to this solution." She was right. I couldn't say no. Reluctantly, I nodded my head. "Good. Now you need to get home as fast as possible. It's not safe for pretty, young girls like yourself to be out this late." 

"Alright. I'll see you Wednesday and Thursday if I can." 

"You just come in whenever, honey. Having you here is always a treat." 

"Bye," I waved at the couple before leaving the bar. The night air was cool and the moon was shining bright. To me, it was perfect. 

"Heya, gorgeous. What ya doing out here," a familiar voice called out to me from the darkness. "And so alone."

When I turned around, the boy who was trying to get close to me in the bar was standing there. Something about him made me feel uneasy.

"You know, you're a hard girl to tra-a-ack down," his voice sounded like it started to glitch and I felt my heart race faster with fear and adrenaline. "Both you and your sister."

"What do you want?" Surprisingly I kept the shakiness out of my voice. The boy simply chuckled at my curiosity.

"It's not what I want. It's what my boss wants." A maroon colored heart wrapped in fluorescent blue strings floated out in front of him. "You see once I capture you, he stops controlling me."The aura around the guy turned dark and threatening. My instincts told me to get out of there. I started running.

I couldn't go back to Raven since it sounds like he's looking for her too. I navigated the back alleys until I hit a dead end. I could hear the eerily amused chuckling of my stalker. His prey was cornered and he knew it. I was afraid but I was going to PERSEVERE. I had to. For me and for my sister. The laughter got closer and I pressed myself into a dark corner of the alley. The echoes of footsteps penetrated the silence.

Step...

Step..

Step.

I pressed myself farther into the wall but it didn't help much. I stuck out like a sore thumb. My wrist was grabbed and I was roughly pulled out into the open. I felt a scream climb up my throat but a large hand was placed over my mouth. My capturor attempted to stop my struggling but I didn't stop. I couldn't be taken. I couldn't leave Raven alone in this world. My wrists were tied together and the man tried to pick me up.

The key word there was 'tried.' I felt the man get shoved and I was thrown off the guy and onto the ground. To be honest, my head bashed against the concrete so I was hazy taking in what happened next. The only thing I really remember is something in the darkness with a scary white smile and one, glowing blue eye.