Chapter 31

It's about 2am and the party's just now calming down. Ink is currently incapacitated since he enjoyed himself a little too much and passed out drunk. Error begrudgingly offered to take him home and they were the first to leave. All of the other Grillby's, Sanses and Papyruses left soon after the Creator and Destroyer did. I was talking with NaJ when Raven walked up to me. 

"Hey, do you got the paintbrush?" The smile I previously had faded. 

"I thought you had it." My twin's nose scrunched up slightly, something that happened when she was confused. 

"No. I thought you had it." I ran my hand through my hair. 

"Shit..." The skeletwins must have noticed our distress because they came up to us. 

"Something wrong," Dream looked between Raven and I. 

"We don't have a way home. Ink was kind of our transportation." I stuck my hands in my back pockets. No matter what I couldn't think of a solution to our problem. 

"You can stay with us," Nightmare blurted, chuckling. I knew what was running through his mind. When Raven and I both forgot our wallets on our first day in NaJ. Dream gave him a puzzled look. 

"Are you sure, brother? We only have one guest room." 

"I'm sure. We shouldn't leave two girls to fend for their own." Nightmare turned to his brother. "I'll take the couch tonight." I looked to Raven. 

"Well, can you be okay with this?"

"It's not like we have any other choice." I turned back to the boys. 

"Lead the way." 

~~~~~~ 

Dream was showing Raven the guest bedroom and Nightmare went to his room to grab a blanket and pillow for himself. I followed Nightmare. There was something bothering me. 

"Nighty?"

"Yeah?" 

"How are you feeling?" I guess he knew what I meant behind my question cause he turned to me. 

"I'm doing just fine, Dove. Don't keep blaming yourself cause I'd do it all over again in a soulbeat." 

"A soulbeat?" Nightmare just shrugged. 

"Monsters don't have hearts." I smiled despite my inner turmoil. To be honest, I felt horrible. "I know that look. You got it whenever Glitchy and Squid were fighting back when you were here." 

"You know how I am. I can't help but blame myself." I looked around Nightmare's room. It was dark. Darker than what I was comfortable with. I grabbed Nightmare's sleeve when he tried to pass by me. "Wait." 

"Yeah?" I felt heat rise to my cheeks as I asked my question. 

"S-Stay with me? Just until I fall asleep." Nightmare looked around the room. 

"The darkness reminds you of that place, doesn't it?" I nodded. I thought he'd be annoyed by my request but instead he surprised me by taking off his shirt and hopping into bed. "We should leave the door cracked so Dream doesn't think we're doing anything," Nighty wiggled his brow bones at me. My face heated up more and I laughed at the strange sight. I made sure the door was cracked before I climbed into bed with to him. That night I had no nightmares. 

~~~~~~ 

NaJ Dream's Point of View

It's been a couple weeks since the opening party for Grillby's and since then I've noticed a change in my brother. When I tried to ask Muffet about it she just ignored me so I called up someone who I thought would help me. Raven's voice rang out from the other end of the cell phone. 

"Hello?" 

"Hey, it's Dream." 

"Oh, heya Sol. What's up?"

"Well Nightmare's acting weird and I was hoping you could help me figure out what's wrong."

"Weird how?"

"He's quiet. Lost in his thoughts all the time. It's like he's in a whole 'nother world."

"Has there been a huge change in his life?" 

"Not that I know of. Do you think you could come over and help me out?" 

"Sure. I'll bring Dove and we'll see if we can help." I thanked Raven and hung up the call. After about ten minutes, there was a knock at the door. I opened it up to see the human twins. There was a change with Raven though. She had cut her hair to shoulder length. It made her deep green eyes sharper, more attractive. I was snapped out of my thoughts when Raven snapped her fingers in my face. "Earth to Dream. You there buddy?

"Huh? Yeah," I opened the door for the two of them. "Come on in. Nightmare's in the back of the house. I think he's got a couple friends over but I'm sure it'll be okay if it's you bothering them, Dove." The blonde nodded and left the room, leaving her sister and I in awkward silence. 

"So what did you want me to do about Nightmare?" 

"I was thinking that we could make him a potion to feel better. Do you think you can do that?" Raven smirked at me.

"Do you doubt my abilities?"