Chapter 20

"You do realize that trying to interpret a prophecy is dangerous, right?" The blue and gold clad skeleton was obviously worried about his human companion. "It's just like trying to figure out a dream."

"Even so we have to try. If Nightmare sent Error to capture Raven and I then that means he's trying to interpret it as well." Dove glaced at the skeletons around her. "If we figure it out before him then we'll have a chance at winning this battle." 

The usually rambunctious Blueberry was quiet up until this point. He was observing those around him and having seen this change in Dove's normally optimistic personality, he decided to speak up. "The human is right. If we figure this out then we can divert a crisis before it happens. No one needs to get hurt anymore." 

"I say we work on it, Dream," Lune's expression was serious. "Raven got hurt because of this thing and if we can prevent it from happening to someone else then we should, damn well, try." Sol took Dream's hand in his and looked up to his older counterpart. 

"Please? We can oversee it and make sure that nothing goes wrong or is misinterpreted." Dream sighed and held his hands up. 

"I can see when I've been outnumbered." Smiles broke out all around the group. "Just be careful, okay? Like I told Raven, tampering with things you don't understand could be extremely dangerous." 

"Before we start working," Lune looked at his blue eyed beauty, "could you please explain to my brother and I what the hell is going on and why it's happening?" 

~~~~~~ 

"How is she, Sci?" Said skeleton was finally done with the complete analysis of the injured girl. 

"I removed the bone like you requested and patched up the wound. It seems like it's glitch hasn't corrupted anything. She'll live, like Blue said, but I have something I want you to see." ScienceTale Sans pulled up the results of Raven's analysis, causing Ink's brow bones furrowed with confusion. 

"How can this be possible?" 

"I don't know but I'd say it has something to do with Dove. The pair are very close and from what Raven's told me, they share a special link that most twins don't have." 

"Could they be close enough to share this?" 

"It's possible but I'm not sure that their bond is completely natural." 

"What?" 

"Look at this." Sci pulled up an x-ray of Raven's right forearm and hand. Screwed across the bone was a metal plate with an engraving on it. 

"WDG - 1H? What does that mean?" 

"Come on. Use that big artistic brain of yours. What universe did you hate creating the most that had things like these?" Ink was quiet for a few moments, lost in his thoughts. 

"Handplates..." The Creator stared at the ravenette in the hospital bed, his tone hushed. "They were experimented on." 

"I'll have to get with US!Undyne and the original Alphys to confirm that but it's highly likely. We could also attempt to access any repressed memories." All of a sudden, Raven's heartbeat skyrocketed and her limbs started flailing about. 

"I think Nightmare is already ahead of you." 

~~~~~~ 

As soon as Ink returned, everyone could tell that he was off. It was like his mind was burdened. Of course, that assumption was correct. He learned a horrifying new detail about the human twins he had befriended and watched as one of them was injured, restrained and, sedated. "Ink? Ink!" The shouts of his friends brought the Creator out of his stupor. "How's Raven doing?" 

"Hm?" Ink's glazed over pinpricks struggled to focus on the skeletons, and human, around him. "She's gonna be fine. Sci wanted her to stay so he can make sure she heals up nicely." There was a collective sigh of relief from the teenagers. While Blue and Dream were happy that the girl was going to be okay, they were more worried about their leader's strange behavior. Said skeleton looked at his team. "Meeting. Now." 

The trio of skeletons went off away from the teenagers, who were avidly working on deciphering the prophecy they recovered. It was here that the Creator shared what he found out about the human twins they all grew to love as family. Blue was the one who took it the hardest, "That's absolutely horrible. Why would Gaster do such a thing to two human children?" 

"Because he's heartless when it comes to his experiments. You know what he did to his universe's Sans and Papy." Dream glanced back to look at Dove. She was pulling her platinum hair into a bun to keep Lune from messing with it. 

"Listen, I'm telling you this for a reason." Ink called for attention from the Star Sanses. "Dream, I'm gonna need you to stay by Raven's side and make sure her dreams stay positive or that she at least has a dreamless rest. Nightmare's unlocking repressed memories and using them to fuel her fear." Dream nodded, accepting his assignment. "Blue, I'm gonna need you to stay with Dove and distract her. I have to do something that she probably won't like." 

"What are you going to do, Ink?" 

"Something that will protect her." The Creator was once again in battle mode and there was nothing the Star Sanses could do about it. Ink walked over to to the teenagers and rested his hands on Lune and Sol's shoulders. "Think you two could come with me?" Blue distracted Dove by asking if she wanted to make tacos with him for their lunch. Thankfully for the little blue skeleton, the girl's stomach growled at the mention of food so she agreed to the task. Dream had left for his assignment as soon as Ink started walking away, though he had a bad feeling about the artist's plan. 

~~~~~~

Ink's Point of View

I led the two skeletons deeper into the Doodle Sphere, to where I knew their universe resided. I knew that Dove wasn't going to like this and personally I didn't like it either but it had to be done. So no one got hurt like that ever again. 

"What did you want to talk to us about?" Nightmare's younger self was wary and I couldn't blame him. I wasn't acting like myself. 

"See this paper?" I gestured to the paper that held their universe. They both nodded. "This is the universe that you're from. Nerd and Jock, otherwise known as NaJ." The younger version of Dream looked intrigued whereas Nightmare had narrowed his eye sockets at me. Dream reached out to touch it but Nightmare grabbed his brother's wrist before he could.

"Why did you bring us here?" I didn't respond. Instead, I took out Broomie and created a portal underneath them. They fell without warning, causing them to scream. 

"I'm sorry," I whispered as I summoned NaJ's code and pressed the large, yellow RESET button.