37. The Lovers

(Harry’s POV)

I just got into my room after a long night. We are recording our fourth album these days and I was recording my parts whole night. It’s really tiring but we are all working hard to make it a better one. Paul came to pick up some notes which I accidently brought back here from our temporary studio. Zayn went with him because they are recording his parts now.

So I had a small bath, refreshed my “body and soul”, what Ruth believes. When she wants to clear her mind or to boost her strength, she always takes baths. Now I’m addicted to it. Believe me or not it totally works. HA! My fiancée is a brainiac! Thinking about her took me a long way back to those days in Paris. While sipping my orange juice on the front couch of my room, it felt like watching a lovely movie.

‘Hey bro!’ He’s still awake. What is he doing up so late in the night? Niall came in with is cheeky smile. He’s dancing for no reason. Never can anybody understand this fellow. God bless for his future girlfriend!

‘Harry. There’s something wrong with my laptop. I just tried to fix it and it got worse.’ His eyes got widen and grabbed my juice glass from me.

‘So?!’

‘So?!’ He imitated me. ‘Like my little potato, please reset it for me!!’ he’s using his puppy eyes to make me horrible for not helping him. Liam is the master of puppy face act. And Niall comes the second. Oh… lord.

‘Armm…’ I don’t feel like getting up from here because I’m so tired.

‘Chop chop’ and Niall went out of the room leaving me helpless.

So I grabbed my lazy ass while cursing Niall. The hallway is dark, but a dim light comes from a slightly opened door. It’s Niall’s room. While wiping my sleepy eyes I entered into the dim room and all I can see is the brightly lit screen in front of the study table.

‘Damn!’ Even from the far I can see that there’s nothing wrong with the computer. The camera is on and somebody is moving. And the cursing voice is familiar. I stepped closer and then I couldn’t believe my eyes for a second. It’s her.

But she seems too distracted by something and wiping her nose with some tissues. I observed her every movement while standing because the second I saw her all the memories start to flood in. Her appearance has changed a lot. She has lost her weight; the color of her face was not there anymore. Here pink lips were no longer pink. All her tattoos were there, but the person who’s in front of me is not my twinkle I used to see.

‘Hi’ I want to hear her beautiful voice. Its been ages, we have talked to each other.

Quickly she threw away the tissues and when she turned her face back to the screen, all her features became shocked. I smiled back and slowly sat on the chair.

‘Ruth…’ My voice has become so passionate and it has become the voice of my heart. She’s still in a shock, but she was able to collect herself quickly and smiled. Oh.. How much I have missed that gorgeous smile of hers. The only thing that hasn’t changed. Her appearance, her mentality all of these have been rapidly changing with the time but not her smile.

‘How are you?’ Finally! She’s speaking. That sound. The urge of wanting to grab her and kiss, it’s irresistible. But she’s so far away from my reach. 

‘Never better. How’s your sickness Ruth?’ We both feel like two complete strangers, but I’m sure at the end of this chat we are gonna be alright.

‘It’s fine. I’m under medications now.’ She smiled slightly and she’s concerned about her nose. Constantly she’s trying to wipe it. I don’t want to talk about the sickness, but it worries me. I thought of leaving her health matters for another day and change the subject.

‘Heal?!’

‘Ah..?’ Ruth stared at me for a while and then realized what I meant. I saw a new tattoo on the side of her right palm. It’s so new, guess she had it a few days ago.

‘You saw it. It’s new.’ She smiled vaguely and rolled her eyes, realizing I knew it before. We laughed. Finally, we are connected. This is what both of us needed for a long time.

Like earlier time, Niall brought us back together.

‘I want to heal everything that hurts. So seen this every time I feel refreshed and relieved.’ She looked at her tattoo.

‘Ruth… It’s nice to see you again. Finally, I can sleep tonight.’ I told her as it was there, suppressed in my heart for a long time. She looked at me and nodded in approval. We both understand each other better than the last time in LA. That particular incident taught us a good lesson.

I want to stay up all night and day staring at her, but it’s time for her to have a rest. I almost forgot about the time difference and I can see her eyes are drowsy. The silence between us is making the situation awkward. So I thought of bidding her good night first.

‘You better get some rest. I’ll…. We’ll talk again.’ She seems grateful with the idea. She never leaves on other days and I never let her go either. But with her condition both of  us knew its time.

‘I’ll see you soon. Bye Harry.’ She waved her hand and start typing something. She’s a girl who’s obsessed with computer mechanism. She has studied IT. So our friends call us. “the tech couple”.

‘Twinkle, I love you.’ I said in a low tone but she heard me.  

But before she could say anything else, she sneezed unexpectedly. She turned away her face from me and wiped her nose. Though she tried to hide it, I saw the tissues were blotted with red. Ruth closed the laptop quickly making me sitting here alone wondering what just happened.