(New) Chapter 2: Taiho

Screams and gunfire rushed through (Y/N)'s mind as he tossed and turned in his sleeping bag. He shook in terror as memories of his past resurfaced, much more vividly than the last few times.

          "Sis..." (Y/N) called out still asleep, sadness in his voice, "I'm sorry..."

           When the apocalypse had been set into full swing, the (L/N) siblings remained together, never leaving each other behind. (Y/N) with his military training, provided safety and safe positions to sleep for the night. (S/N), on the other hand was a doctor, though she was a nurse at first. She provided medical care to her brother and the many people the duo came across.

          However, the two would eventually be ripped apart on a fateful day.

           On April 11, 2023, (Y/N) and his sister had found themselves a truck full of gas, the word 'jackpot' rolling around in their heads. (Y/N) took shotgun to provide covering fire if needed, and (S/N) took to driving. They were currently on the Trans Canada Highway, on course for the capital, Ottawa, unfortunately for them, they'd made it as far as 24% of the distance.

           Their obstacle; a massive horde of undead.

           "What do you say, little bro?" (S/N) asked while smiling, "let's bash some faces in, eh?"

           (Y/N) merely loaded a fresh magazine into his rifle and pulled the firing pin back in response. His sister chuckled, then applied pressure to the gas. The truck lurched forward as (Y/N) began firing away at the undead. Many fell to the hail of hot lead, though many more were eradicated thanks to a grenade tossed in for good measure.

           Standing prone on the roof of the truck, (Y/N) had an excellent firing arc as well as a good field of vision. He continued firing his rifle in small bursts, ensuring that little of the bullets miss their mark. While he can regenerate his ammunition, it takes its toll on his energy. If his ability was used too many times, he'd eventually fall unconscious.

         (Y/N) stopped firing in order to reload, however he noticed something that would affect their survival chances drastically. The truck's engine had smoke spewing out from the side vents and the vehicle was slowing down rapidly.

          The truck eventually came to a stop, its engine smoking heavily due to the repeated impacts against the front end. The horde, by that point had practically surrounded the truck. (Y/N) clambered to the cab of the truck and tried to evacuate his sister, but an undead had managed to get in halfway through the now broken windshield.

          Using the butt of his rifle, (Y/N) smacked the undead off of the vehicle and pulled his sister out. As he did so, more of the undead appeared and grabbed at (S/N)'s legs.

         "(Y/N)!" She screamed, "Help me!"

         "Don't worry sis, I got you," (Y/N) grunted as he pulled with one hand and aimed his pistol with the other.

        (Y/N) fired until the P226 was empty, then continued pulling until (S/N) screamed in pain, with tears streaming down her face.

        She was bitten, and the undead had finally gotten a good grip on her.

         All the youngest sibling could do, was watch as his sister slipped out of his grasp and into that of the cannibalistic creatures below...

       (Y/N) sat up in his tent quickly, breathing heavily. His eyes grew thin as tears started to form, his mouth began to quiver. Having failed to put it behind him, that memory would seemingly continue to haunt the soldier for the rest of his days. He brought his knees up to his face, and wept tears that no one could ever see.