(New) Chapter 12: The Workshop; Part 1

(Y/N) sat at his desk, looking over the schematics of the armor that his alternate self had gifted to him. Grunting, the young man huffed and jotted down another note that read: "Power Armor conversion: possible".

          There was just one problem however; where the hell was (Y/N) going to get the resources and the technical expertise to upgrade his armor and the rest of his equipment. In order to ruthlessly dispatch the threats posed to him in this strange new world, (Y/N)'s equipment needed a serious overhaul, and of course, due to years of heavy use, his trusty rifle, pistol and combat knife were showing their age. Even the new armor he got, while more than adequate, was old and not in the highest state of operational capacity as it would have been. The dents that it received from the gunfight with the White Fang didn't help matters either.

        (Y/N) grumbled and slammed back another energy drink to help keep him awake as he looked over to his armor, sitting on an exoskeleton that he had built. He sighed again and picked up some notes that showed the names of some scientists and their numbers. The man checked them over once again before pausing and hovering his gaze over a name; "Oskar Braun". This scientist was well known for his expertise in weapons, armor, and the controversial subject of bioengineering. This scientist was also known for having worked in Atlas for several decades. He had since relocated to Vale.

          "This one looks promising," (Y/N) noted before writing another note for himself, "perhaps tomorrow I'll ask about the resources and payment..."

          He sighed again and sat back in his chair before reaching into his pocket and pulling out a partially burnt picture of his long dead family. A single tear slid from (Y/N)'s eye, and his breath wavered shakily. He brushed over the picture again, a smile creeping across his face as memories of a happier time came into his mind.

         It wasn't long until the tired man laid his head on the desk and fell asleep, drifting off into the depths of dreams and respite.

         The following morning had (Y/N) waking up and getting ready to start the day like normal; going down to the cafeteria for breakfast and returning to the dorm to brush his teeth and add the finishing touches to the day's plans.

         Kissing Lucia and wishing her a good day, (Y/N) left Beacon and ventured out into town in search for the scientist. The two of them held a brief conversation earlier, and first impressions were good. Now, it was time to meet face to face.

        Not even ten minutes after having left Beacon, the young man arrived at the address. He stood in front of the building and was impressed by the modernity, however he was taken aback slightly due to the small size. Although, it made sense since Doctor Braun had opened this building as a workshop, and not as a company.

       (Y/N) shrugged and entered the building, to which he was greeted by an older man who held a sophisticated air.

        "Good day," (Y/N) began, smiling politely and reaching out to shake the man's hand, "you must be Doctor Braun."

        "Indeed I am," Braun nodded, accepting the hand shake, "a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Mister (L/N)."

        The both of them smiled to each other, and nodded their heads in respect.

        "Come with me to the back, please," Braun gestured for (Y/N) to follow behind him so that they could converse in the workshop.

        Like outside; the interior was extremely modern and held all sorts of machinery that would help upgrade or repair machinery, armor or weapons.

       "Impressive arsenal, Doctor," (Y/N) complimented.

       "I appreciate the kind words, young man," Braun replied while settling down on a chair in front of a computer, "Now... what can I do for you?"

        The young Canadian pulled out the schematics to his armor and handed them over to the scientist.

       "I am interested in upgrading my equipment, starting with my armor and then my weaponry. I unfortunately do not have the schematics for my rifle and pistol, but they should be relatively easy to disassemble to reveal their inner workings"

       Braun looked over the plans and furrowed a brow as he looked at the the quality of the paper.

       "How old is this armor of yours?"

       "I believe that it's about forty-five years old now..." (Y/N) spoke, unsure on what the Doctor wanted with the age of the armor.

        The doctor nodded and looked over the schematics once more before turning to face (Y/N).

       "The good news is that I can upgrade your armor along with your weapons, once I look them over of course."

       "And what of the bad news?" (Y/N) looked back at Braun.

       "I will have to completely disassemble your armor to modify it... and with my research in power armor technology, I might have to also conduct some biological modifications to you as well..."

       The last few words worried (Y/N) considerably. The prospect of being modified on the biological level was one of very few things that shook him to the core. He clenched his hands, looking down and seeing them both; a single organic hand, and the other being of machine. Then, he looked back up to the doctor who was patiently waiting for his answer.

        Taking a deep breath, (Y/N) looked to the doctor with a grim face.

        "How long will the combined procedures take?"

        "Luckily," Braun began, "the resources for the upgrades are easily obtainable, because I have a large stockpile of various metals and other materials, including that of biological origin. Combine that with my willingness to start as soon as possible and the fact that most of this process is going to be automated... the whole process should take no more than a week and a half."

         (Y/N) thought to himself quietly, then he took out his scroll and called Lucia. Unfortunately for them both, the answering machine picked up and so (Y/N) reserved himself to leaving a message.

        "Hey there, Lucia," (Y/N) began, "I am going to be doing something during the week and a few days afterwards. Luckily for me, there are no classes during that time, but if anything should come up during that time, do not hesitate to send me a text. I will get them eventually, because where I'm going has no signal. And... don't forget to spend time with your sister. I love you, Lucia. Stay safe and I'll see you soon. Goodbye, darling."

      As he ended the call, the young man sighed shakily and silently prayed that he had made the right decision in going through with the upgrade process.

      Braun looked over to (Y/N) and nodded in respect.

       "A family-oriented man. Always a nice sight."

       "I appreciate the compliment, Doctor," (Y/N) smiled slightly, "once I return with my equipment, I shall return and we can begin the process."

         "Excellent idea, Mister (L/N)."