Chapter IV

The boys aren't that bad, I've come to realize

The boys aren't that bad, I've come to realize. They're funny and they're always smiling and they're in love with animated cartoons, especially one named McFail. All of them. All of them, except Landon's and Isaac's. They never smile and they never joke and they hate the show. They're so different from the other boys. Sure, they're nice as well (I think), but they're very different.

I hope they're trustworthy though, because I do want to trust them, but I can't. I lost so much back in Minneapolis that I'm not willing to risk anything. I really want to hang out with them and laugh and joke and trust them, but I can't. I'm still not comfortable enough not locking my door at nights.

"Hayden?" Meagan's voice reaches my ears.

"Yeah?" I answer and turn around.

It's my second week at the café. I'm currently holding a piece of clothe and a spray bottle, spraying and wiping the small tables. I've served a few people, most of them being old, retired people, and I've smiled at them all since that's what Linda and her coworkers (Ally, Celine, Meagan and Felice) do whenever they deliver an order to the customers. I'm wearing a red and white squared apron, and Celine helped me put up a "perfect ponytail", as she called it, with one strand loos, and even though she was touching me, obviously, I somehow remained calm. They told me a few basics before they opened; always smile, have some smalltalk, don't carry more than you can, the customer's always right except when they're wrong, and more things I need to work on, and I've got to say; I couldn't get a better job. They're nice and understanding, and even though they should, because of their appearance, they don't act like they own the world. They're just some girls who alongside of college opened a café together. Simple.

"Can you go and help Ally with the dishes? I'll take this when I'm done with the floor."

She's currently cleaning the floor, and I put down the spray bottle and clothes and walk through the door leading "behind the scenes", that in fact leads to the kitchen. They call it the green room; only VIP and people in the movie have access to it.

"Sure," I answer her.

Ally's currently throwing the remnants of the cakes and food away. "Hey."

"Oh, thank God youre here," she says, sighing. Her Texas accent for some reason always bringing out my smile. There's something with the way she pronounces stuff and just smoothly says one sentence in one word. "If I'm supposed to do this all by myself, I'mma spend my whole night here."

"Meagan said you needed help. What can I do?"

"You're a saint Hayden. I'll throw the rests away, and you can just give them all a quick shower before throwing them inside the machine."

"Okay."

We talk all the time while getting the job done, and it goes a lot faster than I thought. Time just flew away, making it eight o' clock.