Chapter XVIII

A few hours later they're all invited to a birthday party, which they very politely try to cancel because of me

"Can you please go to that party?" I ask, not wanting them to leave at all but not being so selfish that I'm going to stick with them like a mosquito either.

"We can't leave you," Dylan tells me.

"Look I'm staying anyways," Landon tells them. "You can go to her party."

"Why aren't you coming?"

"I'm not risking to let people see me collapse there. Go to her party okay? I'm staying here. I've got some things to do anyways."

"Are you sure?" Thomas asks.

"Yes I'm sure. Stop worrying, I'm not a kid. Go."

"Call if you need anything," Isaac says, throwing on his jacket and heading out, the boys following him.

As soon as the boys leave Landon heads upstairs and I walk over to the couches. I turn on the TV and am just lucky enough to see that I Know What I'm Doing is playing.

In this episode, Tammy is trying to get her best friend Carly to agree on going out on a date with the smartest guy at their school; Jack.

Halfway through the show, Landon walks down the stairs.

"I never got the point with that TV show," he says before disappearing into the kitchen.

"If you wanna watch something else it's fine by me," I tell him when he comes back.

He turns around in the middle of the stairs and looks at me, eyebrows raised.

"Don't let people run you over."

I never really have figured out what the deal about having the last word is. He basically says something, and then he vanishes before anyone can say anything more.

Tammy's this close to convincing Carly on asking Jack out, when I hear something. Something falling. Someone falling. Landon.

I jump off the couch and rush up the stairs, not caring I grab the stair railing tightly and that my wrist will probably start bleeding any second now.

I see the open door to my room and walk inside whilst trying to ignore the nostalgia as best as I can. I'm welcomed by the sight of Landon lying on the floor of my room. He fell.