Chapter XXXVI

I called Kaitlyn

I called Kaitlyn. I apologized to her as much as I could, and she forgave me. We caught up on the things we had missed out in each other's lives, and I found out she fought with Dylan because he tried talking to her about me, which I didn't understand, so she explained that it angered her that he thought he could do that after knowing me for half a year. She said that she understands he's my friend, but that he can't think he knows me better than her, and therefor he has no right to try being my voice while talking to her. I didn't quite understand that either, but I didn't tell her that.

School hasn't been much different since no one figured out we were absent for a month, all thanks to Christmas break. The only thing that seemed to stand out to all of them, was the fact that I was walking with Landon everywhere, my hand in his, and that I talked with Iona and Elaine much more. And that I talked. No one has said anything, but I see their looks.

I have a few visits to make today; Isaac's family, Elaine, and John. I know I shouldn't meet him, but I have to. He showed up again, Elaine was close to killing him, Landon held her back by lifting her up from behind, and I got jealous, but that's not why I need to visit her. I need to ask why she hates John so much and what she means when she says she's protective over Landon, and I need to talk to John about his deal.

Mia didn't succeed in getting Isaac back to school, how much she even tried. She talked to all the people that are part of the school administration, but they all gave her the same answer;

"He's been here for four years, and not a day has passed without that he has caused us trouble. This is it."

John proposed one million dollars in exchange of me not telling anyone about Noah, and that's when Elaine lost it. Luckily, the other boys weren't home. If Landon wouldn't be busy keeping Elaine under control, he'd probably be like her.

John can get Isaac back to school, and if one conversation between me and him can make sure Isaac can fulfill his dreams, then it's worth it. I feel sick when I think about how I'm gonna save them both, his campaign and Noah's freedom, but if I need to choose between myself and Isaac, it's forever gonna be Isaac. He's done so much more for me than I have done and will ever be able to do for him, and this is the least I can do after being the one who's shattered his dreams.

I park in front of Elaine's apartment and get out, pushing the button reading E.F. She opens and I walk up the three stairs until I years later with sweat and no air reach her open door.

"Hey," she says.

"Hi...," I manage to say.

"Come in."

I walk inside her small but modern apartment and see pictures of the boys, Jordan, her, Isaac, Landon and his family, Emma, a few of her friends, but one picture that catches my attention, is the one in the middle of all the other pictures, and it's the one with her and Landon, each holding an ice cream, and with her kissing his cheek with her left hand on his right shoulder as he smiles a smile that reveals his teeth. That gets to me, because I've never understood what's between them.