Chapter XXXV

Dylan said he was not sleeping in Landon's bed, and definitely not in his own, where Kaitlyn went to sleep, so I offered him my room, since there were no other options left

Dylan said he was not sleeping in Landon's bed, and definitely not in his own, where Kaitlyn went to sleep, so I offered him my room, since there were no other options left. I stayed with Landon, meaning in the same room as a pissed Kaitlyn. She's sleeping with her back facing us.

We all went to sleep really quick, the reason being it's been a long day. Really long. Too long, almost. It doesn't necessarily mean it's bad though. I've had a good time.

I did go to sleep, yes, but I didn't sleep. I spent my time looking at Kaitlyn's back, wondering what she thought when she found out. Wondering how she feels.

When she starts moving and then sits up, I quickly shut my eyes. Her silent steps are heard before the door opens and then closes again. I open my eyes again and start shifting in order to get up without waking Landon up. That doesn't go as planned.

"I'll be back," I say before he can question anything.

He nods, and I step up and head out, just to hear the door to my room open. In the speed of light I step back inside the room and close the door until just a small gap is what separates me from the outside world, and see her and Dylan walk towards the stairs, his hand pressed against her back.

Okay seriously, when did they get friends? Please. For how long has she been here?

I follow them, since that's exactly what anyone else would do if they'd see Kaitlyn Turner and Dylan Prescott walk down those stairs like that.

I see them sitting on the couch. She's leaning forward, and his hand is once more on her back, but what catches my attention is how she's leaned her head on his shoulder. They've turned on the small light beside the couch, making it possible for me to from the foot of the stairs see the few tears that are flowing down her cheeks and Dylan's look somewhere in the distance with his lip rolled inside his mouth. She's fidgeting with her hands; she's frustrated.

"It's fine," he tells her, his voice sounding as if he can't even spell to sarcasm and jokes. It's lower than usual, sounding almost like Isaac's. "Believe me, it's all gonna end in a very short while."

My brain analyzes the order of the words, and the sentence that forms in my head leaves a few thousand question marks up there.

I continue watching my best friend and my bestie on the couch and I'm once more reminded of what I've done to them. I'm a terrible person.

She lifts her head up and wipes her tears away, looking down before looking at him and then looking down. And then looking back at him.

"I'm really sorry I woke you up," she says. "I just didn't know what to do."

"Don't apologize, it's fine. Really. Whatever happens, I'm here."