Chapter XXXI

I'm the first one waking up

I'm the first one waking up. I keep looking at him for a while, but when I reposition my arm, his eyelids fly open. He's such a light sleeper.

"Hey," he says and pushes himself and at the same time me, up a bit.

"Hi," I answer.

He smiles a genuine smile, and we end up going out. As usual.

I like spending time with him. He makes me laugh and we have so much fun.

I have never taken off the Phoenix birds, not even when I shower. I like their light weight resting on my chest.

Just as always we randomly start walking and end up on a street. There are more lampposts here than the whole town, and between each one of them, snowflakes and lights are hung. There are a few parlors walking past us; one selling cinnamon apples, one selling gingerbread and cinnamon rolls, one selling hotdogs, one selling accessories, the list is long. There are speakers everywhere, Christmas music filling the whole area.

We walk inside a small café and order two cinnamon rolls, two gingerbread hearts and two cups of mulled wine that are served in Santa and reign cups.

"I'll just use the rest room, I'll be back," he says and walks away as I take a bite of the gingerbread. If Christmas would be a cake, this would be how it tastes.

"Hey," someone says and sits down at the table, making me look down. "I just need to ask, if you say yes, I'll leave; was that your boyfriend?"

I don't answer him, I don't know what to say. None of the answers are too appealing right now.

"I....," I say. "N.... he's my friend."

"Really? I thought otherwise, I mean, it's weird how you don't have one."

"I...."

"Hey what's going on?" I look up to my right when I hear the voice that calms my heart.

"Nothing, we're just talking."

Gosh how I hate that sentence. I'm not even talking, you're the one talking.

"And you should just leave."

"Relax man, she said you weren't her boyfriend and I tried my chances. Calm down."

This one's easier to get rid of than the last one. He just gets up and leaves.

"Are you okay?" he asks.

"Yeah," I say, convincing myself it's true. "Why wouldn't I be?"