Chapter XXXIV

"Haaaayden," a screeching yet soft voice says

"Haaaayden," a screeching yet soft voice says. "Wake up, we're in Phoenicf now."

I recognize the gap toothed words of Leona and open my eyes, seeing Landon isn't anywhere to be seen. "He went to wake my mummy up and he faid he waf gonna get me apple juife and focolate."

"Really?" I try. "Lucky you."

"Hey," I hear his voice say before his lips press to my head and he strokes my cheek. Then he disappears again, coming back five minutes later with a tray. "Apple juice, chocolate and a donut for the lady," he says and gives Leona the three heavens of a child. "Coffee and chocolate for you," he hands me over a mug and a chocolate bar. "And a coffee and chocolate for you," he gives Leona's mum, who came over to us when he was gone, before slurping on the coffee-without-chocolate he got himself.

"Thank you," Leona's mum says. "You two have been a blessing tonight, I'm sorry if she's bothered you."

"Not at all, she's been an angel," Landon says and pokes her nose, causing her to giggle as she drinks her apple juice.

"How much did this cost?"

"I have no idea."

"Please."

"No Miss, it's on me. I insist."

"It's not right. You've done more than asked for for Lilly, and now this? Please let me take this."

"I'm sorry, even if I do wanna help you I can't. I don't remember."

She raises her eyebrows and looks at his grinning face a few seconds, but then she drops it.

"This is captain of SH01," a voice through the speaker says. "I'm requesting that all passengers onboard get inside the boat. We'll in a few minutes arrive to the port of Phoenix. Stay inside the boat until then."

Weirdly, I haven't gone sick yet. I'm just sitting there, grabbing the couch, just as hard as I did on the airplane, as Leona kicks herself up to Landon's lap again, sitting there and looking around as he locks his arms around her like a seatbelt.

"It was really nice meeting you Leona," I say to her when she once more starts examining his hands.

"You too," she says. "And Allifon. And you," she looks at Landon.

"Yeah," he says. "You've been a good kid."

"Doef it mean I can vifit you fomeday?" Leona asks.