Chapter XXXXV

"Why didn't you tell me?" Landon asks and slams the door shut

"What?" I ask, putting down my phone.

"A press conference with the reporters at the park today? Seriously?"

"They wouldn't let it go, they want answers."

"And you're gonna give them answers in one hour?"

"I have to, I don't want them attacking you or the others. How did you find out?"

"It's all over the news, the whole world's gonna be there. They've even set up a stage for you."

What?

"It's over now anyways Landon, it's not that bad."

"Not that bad? Hayden if they don't believe you, the court that's gonna hold a trial next week will vote against you. You'll have the whole world against you for accusing the soon to be governor's son which will raise his votes for the election, and then he's gonna send us all to hell when he's declared governor."

I didn't think about it this far. He's right; my answers better be good.

"Well then I'll have to be more careful about what I say."

"That easy? Hayden people prepare and practice their one and a half minute long speeches for months, you can't just walk up on that stage and answer their questions however you want."

"It'll be fine."

I doubt my own words now that he's stated all the perspectives of it, but I can't back down now.

"No it won't, and that's why I called Isaac."

That is honestly a very good idea. Isaac's a lawyer now, he knows the rules and laws of the world, he knows the tricks of court, he can help me. "He'll be here in five minutes he said."

And that's right. Exactly four minutes later, he's inside the house, his anger steaming.

"What the fuck Hayden," he exclaims. I'm happy Mamá (I'm practicing) is off to work and Jordan at school. "You're a psychopath, you're one of the fucking psychopaths, that's official now. You should've talked to us before calling a meeting with the whole world."

"Fine, I'm sorry, I didn't know what to do," I spit out. "I just want this to be over."

"We don't have much time, sit down."

Without taking off his jacket or shoes, he sits down beside me on the couch and starts talking with Landon standing over his shoulder. He tells me emotions are easy to manipulate, especially as a good liar, and that I've got to work on their conscience. He says that "we" know what's happened, "we've seen it", times over, but they don't. Even if the past months have been our reality, they won't accept it, and so we can't rely on their brains, we have to work on their hearts, because their brains have seen John and his son and happy family on tv, in the papers, everywhere, and to change the perfect picture with a headline like this won't be easy, especially since John's people for sure will be there today.