― 09. night terrors

NIGHT IS fast approaching as Kaitlyn patiently waits for John to come home from his quick trip to the store, getting her a missing ingredient for dinner

                    NIGHT IS fast approaching as Kaitlyn patiently waits for John to come home from his quick trip to the store, getting her a missing ingredient for dinner. He'd been more than obliged to run out so she can finish cooking. However, it seems to be taking him longer than she expected it to. Though it isn't long before she hears the sound of the garage door opening and then closing, and a car door slamming shut. John's footsteps are all too familiar as they make their way towards her.

   "Here you go," John says holding up the plastic bag with the cheese she needs. He walks over and places it on the counter next to her, and kisses her cheek.

   "Aren't you a dear," she says leaning back into his broad chest as he stands behind her while she looks up at him, "should be ready in twenty minutes." John nods and gives her a polite smile.

   Something is off.

   She can see the clouds in his eyes, the thoughts that have to be going through his mind; and he thinks a lot. His body language is more tense than she's seen in years, "everything alright?"

   "Yeah." he says in his normal, deep, and masculine tone. She swears that this is his most common answer to anything.

   "Are you sure? You seem.. shaken up."

   He sighs, "weird run in earlier when I stopped for gas."

   "Weird?"

   "Don't worry about it honey, it was nothing."

   Kaitlyn nods. She knows to trust what he says and his judgement on things. At this point if he doesn't want her to pry, she won't; she knows everything about him there is to know. "Okay well, before you go and change, could you set the table?"

   "Of course."

   She does her best to continue cooking, but she can't quite shake thinking about the look on his face. Yet she takes a deep breath, sucks it up, and decides to move on; because John is a hard to explain man and he won't want to talk about it, he made it pretty clear. And as she looks to his form, he seems back to his normal self. So she goes back to focusing on the chicken she can't let burn.

   Dinner is finally ready and Kaitlyn has all but forgot about John's behavior from earlier as they eat. She's enjoying telling him stories and every little detail about France that she forgot to, or purposely left out so she can tell it in person. John is in fact mortified by her stories of all the night clubs, going out at ungodly hours, sketchy run ins with Parisians, and more. There's a reason she waited to tell him in person. "Katie, something could've happened to you." "No no, we were always very safe I promise." John is a protective husband; not in a bad way or controlling in the slightest. He just has different life experiences than her and with his former line of work, her getting hurt is never far from his mind.