― 20. anniversary

JOHN HADN'T seen Kaitlyn in weeks because of a job

                            JOHN HADN'T seen Kaitlyn in weeks because of a job. He desperately missed her the whole time, thinking only of them being reunited. Every second was filled with pain, low grunts, sleepless nights, and worrying about his girlfriend. Bandages were littered all over his body with blood still seeping through the knife wound on his abdomen. As he limped to the front door of her apartment, he knew it would mortify her to see him in this state. Hair and beard grown out and unkempt; and whenever he tried to move he'd be visibly in pain. It wasn't pretty, she was going to be pissed.

   The door was locked as he tried to apartments door knob. He mentally cursed himself because he didn't know where his spare key was. He sharply knocked hoping she was home; but where else would she be this late at night?

   Eventually he heard the clicking of locks and then the door swung open.

   "Jonathan..." her voice was tiny as her eyes were wide with sadness. She was looking him over and even though he definitely stopped at The Continental to get patched up- he looked bad. His black suit had faint outlines of where blood was.

   She finally snapped out of her daze seeing him and wrapped her arms around him. John did his best to ignore the shooting pain as she hugged him, "lets go inside?" he said softly. He had an arm around her and a hand in her hair. This was what he had been waiting for, his whole body being able to relax at her touch.

   Nodding, she helped bring him into her apartment, "couch or bed?"

   "Bed."

   So many questions were running through Kaitlyn's head. One; where had he been for almost a month. Two; why she had barely heard from him... but no matter how much anger she felt towards him in this moment it all went away when her eyes laid sight on him. He was alive and with her; all her questions could wait until another day as there was no way he wanted to deal with it.

   John weighs a lot more than her, it was obvious he was holding most of himself as he still leaned on her for support. He could feel the nervousness and annoyance coming off of her, he didn't want to say a word.

                          John will never be able to forget those memories, they will always haunt him no matter if he is retired or working again. But John of course never hopes for the latter, he's still retired. He firmly believes he's still retired. For a split second he's distracted and gripping to the kitchen counter as he tries to shake those thoughts.

   Laid out in the kitchen is bread, cheese, lettuce, salad, potato salad— the whole shebang for having a picnic. John is slightly flustered as he appears to have taken on a bigger task than he bargained for, which is ironic based on his old job. Making simple sandwiches shouldn't be stressing him out as much as it is, but he wants it to be perfect. Today is their wedding anniversary and he wants Kaitlyn to come home surprised- and happy and relaxed and loved. He lives to see her smile and wants nothing more than to make today special (even though she constantly tells him to keep it lowkey).