― 07. in love

A LOT has changed now that John and Kaitlyn are together and their love is known between them

                        A LOT has changed now that John and Kaitlyn are together and their love is known between them. The biggest change being; true happiness that they can share and not dance around. Happiness for John. But the reality of their situation hasn't changed though. John feels as if he has a purpose for the first time in many years (that's not just killing). One of the first things John made sure he did, was make sure Jake never is in the picture again; and a simple threat did the job. Secondly, he made sure there were arrangements for her to be protected if something.. is to happen to him. Loose ends need to be tied, because he's going to work on getting out for her.

   It's about 1 a.m. when a phone goes off, instantly jerking John awake. He looks and sees who the text was from, and what it need him to do. The news makes him close with eyes and give a deep sigh as he wishes it doesn't have to be like this. He then turns to look back at his stirring girlfriend, who is starting to become aware of his absence from her side. Before, he'd be more than obliged to go, but having to leave her kills him inside.

   "John?" Kaitlyn if fully awake after having felt bed shift and the pair of strong, warm arms leaving her body. She moans out in detest, trying to reach for him so he'd come back.

   "Go back to sleep sweetheart," his deep voice coos, his hand softly rubbing her side as he tries to will her back asleep.

   "What's going on?" she rubs her eyes looking at him through blurry vision.

   "Work,"

   Kaitlyn's mouth forms an 'O' shape as she lays back down, refusing to make eye contact with John, "did they say how long it would take?"

   "No, but Viggo needs me to go to Boston."

   "Please don't go.. I can't handle it when you leave. I just can't..." she whimpers, lip quivering.

   "Katie look at me," he reaches over and squeezes her cheeks, pulling her face so she's looking at him. His calloused hands are firm against her soft skin, but his eyes are looking at her tenderly, "I know this is hard. And I know it worries you. But I will always come back in one piece.."

   "Promise?" she sniffles reaching out to run a hand through his hair. She's staring up at him with a glazed over look,

   "I'll do my best." effortlessly he's able to move so he is hovering over her, Kaitlyn pinned to the bed and him straddling her. He's still so gentle, making sure his weight isn't on her. He grabs one of her hands and the other is latched in her hair before he leans down to place his lips against her. John rests his forehead against her, wondering how he got so lucky to have her. Have such an amazing girl. Each time he has to leave like this, it's the same. And each time it feels like someone is grabbing his heart and squeezing.

   Kaitlyn's eyes begin to flutter closed and her breathing steadies, "I love you.." she murmurs.

   "And I love you little one," a nickname that makes her insides go numb and head dizzy. She has no strength to respond, to pull him in for a deep kiss like she usually would. Instead sleep re-consumes her in seconds.