― 25. the coronation

IT'S NIGHT

                  IT'S NIGHT. And Kaitlyn's dying inside. She's paced the suite more times than she can count already. She's also scrounged the dining capabilities of the Continental too, everything too much for her. Now huffing as she stares out the window out over the lights that sparkle in the darkness of the city- she wishes she could go out. But she (mostly) remembers every word of John's, "Do not leave the premise Katie, please.", and she'll never be bold enough to disobey him because of the situation. So there she stands with her arms crossed and her face scrunched in annoyance.

It's hard for her to not think about John. As mad as she thinks she is at him, that'll never trump being worried for him when he's on a job. The anxiety of their situation seems fresh inside her- even after years of peace it's like it never really left. John didn't give her much more information about tonight; she watched him get ready in his all black suit, all the guns,.. Kaitlyn is sure she's never seen this many weapons in his possession and she's lived with him for years now.

   How does she not wonder how he's fairing? If he's killing someone right this instant, or if he's bleeding out somewhere...

   Without John, Kaitlyn doesn't know what she'd have. And it's the same for him, but yet they're running in circles causing more issues than needed. Slowly they seem to be breaking apart because they can't communicate, because they want the other to be happy. Kaitlyn knows it's not fair to either of them and this would never have happened in a million years before she'd been taken... how quickly things can change.

   "Fuck." Kaitlyn mutters aloud. She's bored but she also feels like she could throw up any second. Her stomach feels like it's flitting around with hundreds of butterflies painfully flying around. Her chest feels like there's weights bearing down ready to crush her. She tries to sit to calm herself and try to watch whatever's on the tv, even if she can't understand it. Her hands shake. Her legs freaking bounce up in down impatiently. It's like every time something moves she's looking to the door.

In the past she'd always been guilty of door watching. When she wasn't busy, staring at the front expecting him to walk in any second. Even though it's not reasonable to expect the job to be this fast, she can't stop hoping. And she's still doing now.

   Kaitlyn realizes she can't sit right now, she's too antsy. So she goes over to a large section of the windows and pushes it open. It's a warm night out but a cool breeze blows past her and through the cream curtains. She hugs her arms closer to her body not expecting goosebumps to rush up her skin. Looking out over the city; at all the lights, cars, and hearing the noise- it makes her feel small. Makes her feel insignificant as her chest feels heavy like it would be crushed at any moment. 'Can I do this again?' she wonders, because it hurts. All the thoughts of John and what he's doing, and if he's okay. And then thinking about if he's been seriously injured. It seems obsessive and wrong, but she can't make it go away. Tears fall down her cheeks as she tries to choke back her new found sobs.