― 31. closure

"I'M HAVING such a hard time staying awake," Kaitlyn murmurs as the bright lights of the hospital room ceiling blind her, making it harder for her to stay up

"I'M HAVING such a hard time staying awake," Kaitlyn murmurs as the bright lights of the hospital room ceiling blind her, making it harder for her to stay up. Her vision is fairly blurry as she tries to make out different shapes in the room- though the only thing in her sights that matters is her husband.

"Just stay awake a little longer Katie, discharge is coming soon."

"You said that an hour ago!" she groans,

Her whining makes John smile as he looks down at how her hand fit in his, "discharge always takes double the time they say. Remember after your last emergency room trip?"

"Suppose so," she hums, "why do I feel like I've ended up here more than you."

   "Maybe because you have.. careless,"

   "Oh well," she let out a sigh, "I'm going to go crazy soon, these lights!" Kaitlyn feels drained. She feels heavy in all her limbs as she struggles to make herself seem normal, feel normal. All she wants is to curl up into a ball, feel warmth around her and sleep. She doesn't want to hear the repetitive, annoying beeping of hospital machines or people rushing to and fro. What she feels is unlike anything she's felt before; aching pains and cruel reminders of what happened. And not being able to be along with John makes it worse as she's able to see the pain and guilt written over his handsome features.

   John knows she's raring to go, and he can't lie that he is too. He wants to get her out of the dull confines of the hospital and get her home. To him, her being home means he can properly look her over, take care of her. He wants to hold her and apologize over and over.

Thirty minutes later, Kaitlyn is being helped into a wheelchair. She's no longer in hospital garbs but clothes Sara brought her. In her arms is a bag of random things people dropped off, but she's clinging to it for dear life. Her fingers are tinged white as she slowly lost circulation as she's pushed through the maze of halls past nurses, doctors, and patients. A wave of nausea hits her as her stomach grumbles for real food not the jello she's been fed for days. Five minutes prior as paperwork needed to be signed, the nurse had John leave to pull up the car so it would be easier to leave. Kaitlyn had felt panic rise into her chest the second he was out the door after placing a kiss to her temple. She didn't want him to leave even if it was temporary.

"I see your husband," the kind nurse says as the sliding doors to the outside open where John stands with the car. She feels relief at the familiarity and being back in his presence.

John has a tired smile on his lips, it's obvious he hasn't slept in awhile. But he doesn't want her to see that, as she's had it worse in his eyes. He opens the passenger door and aids the nurse in helping Kaitlyn in. She's groggy, weak, struggling to be of any help to them so she lets them move her like a doll. The leather smell of the mustang hits her nostrils and it's nostalgic, it's comforting as John leans over her to buckle her in. It clicks, letting her know she's safe- that she's able to let her guard down.