― 03. first date

THE NEXT day comes all too slow for John

                       THE NEXT day comes all too slow for John. He'll probably have to check in to the Continental later, but for now he's getting to see Kaitlyn. He is getting genuine time alone with her. He feels like a nervous wreck as he putt on a pair of nice slacks and a dress shirt, with his hands shaking as he fiddles with each button. Quickly glancing in the mirror, he feels like he looks good; maybe over dressed, but it's who he is. John asked her to go for a simple coffee, there was no need for him to get worked up or care like this. But he can't help it. His body and mind's reaction to her feels out of his control for the first time in years.

   A single job that can cost him his very life never makes him feel like this, a mess of a thousand emotions and fears. He doesn't want to mess up now and have her slip away through his fingers. If he is to lose her, he at least wants to have had a chance.

   Dating to John was never important because who knew how long he had to live in his line of work. His longest relationship was years ago now. Nothing he felt with a woman compared to the way he feels when he simply looks at Kaitlyn. Two short meetings are all they have had, and he knows it isn't a silly coincidence that brought them to each other.

   Excitement starts to hit him like a freight train. He feels smiley and is twitching with euphoria because of the start of his day. Soon he'll get to see her and his obsessive thoughts of her can diminish for the time being. John keeps looking at their short but sweet conservation from yesterday. He has an automatic smile from her response; even her texting personality matches her bubbliness he sees after their two conversations.

   The clock is ticking down for when he has to leave to meet her. He's nervous, and understandably, she doesn't realize how he feels about her. How after one look John was planning on making her his.

•••

                   Kaitlyn's already at the coffee shop when he arrives. She is sitting at a table for two in the corner looking at something on her phone. It makes him subconsciously smile, seeing her dressed in a skirt and a pink sweater. When they make eye contact John loses all sense of his surroundings; from the noise to the people. His eyes are trained on her and her curled hair, and pink lips.

   "Hey!" she waves him over.

   "I hope I didn't make you wait long." He isn't late, right on time, but he hopes she's just early. Thank god that no matter how John feels on the inside, he's able to portray his usual confidence on the outside. He can surely thank his job for that.

   "Oh no no, I was awkwardly early. Thought I had less time than I did." she stands up, grabs his wrist and pulls him towards the counter, "took a lot of restraint not to order something!"