― 24. italy

KAITLYN STANDS besides John gripping her purse as they stare over Rome, a light breeze breaking the heat around them

KAITLYN STANDS besides John gripping her purse as they stare over Rome, a light breeze breaking the heat around them. Her husband is clad in an all black suit, hair slicked, and looking devilishly handsome. She's literally surrounded by an old city filled with beauty that appears to be lost in time, but she thinks the man next to her is better. Gorgeous architecture that is the classical styled buildings and culture. Rome has taken her breath away almost as much as her husband whose sleeve she grips onto as if he'd disappear. John is stoic as he scans around them, the roads filled with people and vendors. The two clearly have different reasons of being here; Kaitlyn knows the seriousness but still looks as this as a trip. Both know why John is here.

The sky is clear blue as they walk side by side, his hand glued to the low of her back guiding her. On their way to Italy they had hardly talked besides when it was absolutely needed; she knows John is mad. Or it's that he's so focused on the job at hand, she's having a hard time telling.

   Finally John leads them to a building that could be a castle the way the light reflects off the light stone and tiny statues. The stairs lead up to what she figures must be the Rome Continental, they are grand and tall; with a red carpet going up them. The door is towering and eclectic against the old building where moss hangs too; with a 'C' plastered on it in red. Above the door etched into the stone are the words 'Continentale'.

   As they approach the looming building, the weight of everything finally begins to sink into her. The once nervousness of an exciting anticipation she'd felt on the plane is gone, almost making her sick for feeling that way. Kaitlyn moves even closer to John as they begin to climb the stairs and two men hold open the door. She swallows hard.

   Inside is no lesser of a feat than what Kaitlyn saw outside. She's practically gaping at everything around her, slowly her upset stomach going away. Every detail, price of furniture, painting, and sculpture is perfect and what she'd expect from a hotel here. The red accents are a crisp touch amongst the warm cream and cool white colors. People walk by them minding their own business as they walk through a set of another doors, this time opening into the foyer where the desk sits- and a small dome of paintings probably hundreds of years old. It's so different from the modernness of the New York Continental.

"Welcome to the Continental of Rome. How might I be of assistance?" the woman at the front desk greets the couple in Italian

"I'd like a room." John returns in the native language as he pops out a coin and slides it across the table.

Suddenly a voice behind them speaks out instantly making them turn around, "Jonathan."

"Julius." an older man stands there with a solemn yet happy look as he walks forward to greet them. Kaitlyn finds herself unmoving as she watches the two men shake hands,

"Ciao. Nice to see you."

"Katie," John glances back to his wife and she takes it as her que to scurry over to them, John softly rubbing her back as she smiles. She feels intimidated as the man named Julius clearly looks her up and down, "this is my wife."