5 - One vs One

When Taehyung shows up at school the following day, he is immediately welcomed by Jimin with an irritated, "Finally decided to drop by at school?" As his best friend only rolls his eyes and tries to kiss the smaller one on the cheek to be forgiven, Jimin continues bitterly, "You know that diligence is required to graduate, right?"

"Oh, shut up," Taehyung replies. "It was just one day."

As Jimin effectively stops talking, he darkly listens to his friend starting to talk to Yoongi about some gaming stuff, and he only follows them in the corridors, walking next to a silent yet enthusiastic Hoseok. Jimin does not really care about what Taehyung and Yoongi are saying — and he does not understand anything, anyway — but his attention is suddenly awakened when he hears Taehyung mention a friend he has apparently made the night before.

Jimin can see his best friend's eyes sparkle, he can hear him genuinely laugh – when was the last time he laughed with Jimin? He feels his tiny fists clench, as he fixes his intense glare on the blond teenager. After a few minutes, he finally interrupts in a harsh tone, "And who exactly are you talking about?"

Taehyung turns around and shrugs. "Just a guy I met online. I don't know his name, but he sounds cute. I think he's younger than us."

Jimin is fuming at his friend's words. 'Cute'? That would not do.

Close to him, Hoseok senses Jimin's fury, and finally bends towards him, asking him if he is alright. The smaller boy sighs and slows down to make some little distance between them and Taehyung, who is back to talking about video games with Yoongi. "I'm just so tired of this."

Hoseok interrogatively stares at him, quickly glancing at the two students ahead of them. He does not seem to understand Jimin's dismay. "I'm supposed to be his best friend since kindergarten," Jimin goes on, letting Hoseok know he is actually talking about Taehyung. "Yet, he spends much more time with his online friends, and even with Yoongi." He almost spits this last name.

Hoseok raises an eyebrow. "Are you jealous?"

"I'm not jealous. I'm crazy jealous." Jimin sighs. "Am I wrong to just want Tae for myself? It's always been only he and I until high school and... I just cannot get used to it. I love you guys, but ever since Yoongi got in the game, it's just complicated."

"But you know Tae loves you, right? Even if he doesn't show it much these days." Jimin sadly nods. "And about Yoongi, I don't think you can say he's getting in the way. He and Tae only share an interest, that's all." As Jimin bites his lower lip, Hoseok continues, "Plus, you perfectly know that Yoongi needs to spend time anywhere but at his place, because of... Well, you know why. And the Kims are always ready to welcome him. You cannot blame him for wanting to be with Taehyung."

The smaller teenager looks down. He feels guilty about feeling hateful and jealous of Yoongi. Their older friend does not exactly have an easy life, and Jimin can understand that he is so attached to Taehyung's family, as his own has so many problems.

He finally asks, as they get to the main hall, "So you don't think that Yoongi likes Tae? I mean, really like him?"

"I honestly don't think Yoongi's capable of liking anyone. Not in that way." They both glance at the oldest of them four. The small student is smiling at one of Taehyung's geek jokes. Jimin had actually never seen Yoongi look at any girl or boy, or comment about anyone's good looks. Hoseok resumes, putting a hand on Jimin's shoulder, "Don't worry, man. No one's going to steal Tae from you."