26 - Error 404

Yoongi picks up his three-year-old little sister who is running from the kitchen to put her back on her chair and insists she eat the meal he has cooked for his siblings. One of his brothers suddenly yells, then starts crying. Yoongi turns to face him, and notices his hair is covered in soup.

"Who did this?" he whispers furiously, approaching the boy to clean him up. "Hey, Woozi, stop crying, it's alright, it's not even hot. You're fine."

Yoongi hears another of his brothers giggle, and mumbles, "I know it's you, Gumjae. Now keep it down, mom's sleeping."

"I don't like the soup," Gumjae protests.

"Well, next time, you cook."

"I can't cook."

"It's time you learnt. Back when I was your age, I learnt how to cook so you four could eat." Yoongi sighs. "Will you feed your little sister, please?"

Gumjae rolls his eyes but obeys. He might make everything he can to tease his eldest brother, he knows when to stop and actually help. "She's done with her food, I think," Gumjae finally says. "I'll take her to bed for a nap." Yoongi mentally thanks him, as he is trying to get the two seven-year-old twins to finish their plate.

Yoongi thinks his brother does not act like a fourteen-year-old. Sure, at times, Gumjae feels the need to be immature and mess everything up. But when he is asked to, he can prove to be the adult Yoongi is usually expected to be.

But when Gumjae picks his sister up and heads for the large bedroom they all share – more like a dormitory, really – the little girl starts yelling in a high-pitched voice, refusing to go without "Yoonie". Gumjae tries to calm her down, but she won't stop. Yoongi immediately gets up and runs to her, but it's too late. They can hear a door creak open and a sleepy, yet angry, voice mutter, "What the hell is going on?"

"Mom!" Yoongi says, his voice shaking. "It's fine. I promise. Go back to bed."

His mother, still standing in the doorframe, lifts her hand, holding an empty bottle of beer. One of Yoongi's youngest brothers gets up from his seat to seize the bottle and take it to the bin, and Yoongi maintains his mother's look. "I've got everything under control," he resumes, trying to steady his voice. "You go rest."

But his sister is still yelling, asking for "Yoonie", saying she does not want to go to bed, hitting Gumjae with her little fists. Her brother tries to make her subside, but she won't listen. "Is that what you call control?" their mother blurts out. "You're letting your brother do everything, once more."

"No!" Gumjae intervenes. "I actually–"

"It's okay," Yoongi cuts him off. "I'm sorry, mom. I was trying to handle the twins."

His mother glances at the boys at the table, and narrows her eyes. "Why is Jihoon covered in soup?" she asks, pointing at the boy who had not got up.

"That's– That's actually Woozi, mom," Yoongi hesitantly corrects her. "But don't worry, it's alright, I was cleaning him–"

"Shut up," she interrupts. "I know how to tell my kids apart." She gestures to her son. "Jihoon, go get changed."

The twins awkwardly look at each other, and Yoongi discreetly sighs, staring at Woozi, whose head is still partially dirty. "Go ahead," he whispers. Woozi nods and leaves the kitchen, after taking his plate to the sink.

And Yoongi waits for his mother's next words. She glances back at their little sister, who is still crying her eyes out in Gumjae's arms. "Why won't she keep quiet? What did you do to her?"

"Nothing, I think she's just tired."

"Don't answer back!" his mother hisses. "Gumjae, take her to bed." Her second son obeys, and she addresses the remaining twin, "Woozi, you clear the table and help your brother in the bathroom."