10 - Co-op

Since Taehyung is so cross at Jungkook for basically not trusting him and not wanting to actually know each other, he has invited Yoongi over so he has someone to play with – someone who really cares about him and will not let him down. But as they are sitting on Yoongi's mattress, the oldest of them two cannot help but notice Taehyung is receiving multiple invitations, which successively appear on his TV, but which he declines every time.

"Who's badgering you?"

"No one," Taehyung mumbles hatefully, staring at the screen.

"Ain't that this friend you made? The one you always talk about?" Another tune startles them, but Taehyung waits a minute before sighing and declining once again. "Man," Yoongi observes calmly, "why are you declining this? You're obviously dying to accept."

His friend mentally swears – how could Yoongi know him so well? But Taehyung only shrugs. "I'm playing with you, I don't need him."

"Did you, like, have an argument about something? Wait, did you lose against him? Is that why you're so grumpy?"

"I didn't lose! He's just– He's been annoying."

Yoongi chuckles and lets his avatar die, putting his joystick down and getting up. "I'll let the two of you play. Don't mind me, I'll just go get some snacks."

"No! Hyung, don't leave me with him." But Yoongi bends a little and, as Taehyung receives another invitation, clicks on a button of Taehyung's own joystick. "Hey!" he screams in frustration. "You bast– Ah, hey, Jungkook."

As Yoongi smirks, trying to avoid Taehyung's fists as he gestures to punch him, he reaches for the door. But Taehyung, who seems quite tense, turns to him and whispers, muffling his microphone, "Can you tell my mom to make me a sandwich?"

Yoongi nods and leaves, smiling as he sees Taehyung try to say something to his online friend, managing the settings for their upcoming game. "Hum, so, yeah, I was with my friend Yoongi, so I didn't want to let him down for you. But it's alright," he adds quickly, "he's in the kitchen now."

"But he's your guest, I can just leave you two alone, if you like," Jungkook replies in an even tone. He sounds tense, too.

"No, no!" Taehyung exclaims, maybe a bit too energetically. "I– I actually wanted to play with you. I should have sent you an invite. I've been stupid."

But Yoongi has already closed the door, and gone to the kitchen, a few rooms away from Taehyung's. Mrs Kim is pensively cooking there, looking through the window, and slowly rocking her body at the sound of some music she is listening to on the radio.

Yoongi smiles softly and coughs so he gets noticed. Seokjin turns around, her apron on, and discreetly blushes. She moves as to turn the volume down, and Yoongi informs her of her son's request – but he adds "please".

"Ugh, this kid," Mrs Kim sighs.

But she smiles to her guest all the same and gets busy, opening the fridge and getting butter and ham out. Yoongi is standing next to the kitchen table, slightly leaning on it, and watches her. "He's not a bad kid, you know," Seokjin finally says. "Taehyung, I mean. He's even a good one." She briefly looks up at the student in front of her, and resumes cooking. "Yet, I never know what to do with him; how to act, what to say." She gets to the sink to rinse tomatoes and comes back near Yoongi. "And with his father away, I just... I don't know. I kind of feel useless."

Yoongi raises an eyebrow, bewildered by such a statement. Taehyung's mother smiles sadly to him as she hands him a second sandwich she has made for him. The boy stutters, and replies confusedly, "But Mrs Kim, you're not useless! You're– Well, you're a great mom." He gladly takes the sandwhich, thanking her with a nod. "And you always do so much for me." Yoongi offers her a broad smile, "Even my mom doesn't make sandwiches for me."

Seokjin's smile fades a little at this, and she tries to hide her uneasiness by arranging Taehyung's sandwhich on its plate. But Yoongi is looking for her gaze, which he finally catches, whispering in a moment of weakness, "I– I wish you were my mom."

Mrs Kim sustains his pleading look, and reaches out to hug him, gently wrapping her arms around his shoulders, but Yoongi shrugs a little, looking away, as he is the one feeling uncomfortable now. He has never been much of a tactile person.