22 - XP

Yoongi sighs as he hears Taehyung getting excited over his avatar beating Jungkook's in a karting race. The older boy is lying on his mattress, his arms crossed behind his head. He did not want to play with Taehyung. He has not once wanted to play with him since he got at his place, two days ago. The only thing he has wanted was sneak into Mrs Kim's bedroom and get a chance to hold her hand, to kiss her, to be the one she is smiling to.

He glances at Taehyung and readjusts his pants as he is starting to feel uncomfortable down there – God, what this woman does to him. The other boy seems oblivious, caught up in his game. He doubts he will even notice if Yoongi gets out of the bedroom, just for a few minutes...

"I'm gonna go for a snack," Yoongi blurts out, and his voice almost sounds bestial, as if driven by instinct.

Taehyung does not answer. His friend gets up and leaves without further consideration, striding directly toward the Kims' bedroom. But he stops right in front of the door when he hears whimpers and loud voices.

"No, Namjoon, you don't understand!" Seokjin yells, restraining a sob. "You're never there. This is not the life I chose. This is not the life you promised me. I'm just tired of waiting for you."

Yoongi bites his lower lip. He does not like to hear people fight – he's known this situation too often. But what he cannot bear is hearing the sound of Mrs Kim's cries.

"Of course I'm being selfish! Of course I've got expectations!" she shouts back at her husband through her phone. "I'm lonely, I'm unloved, I am miserable, Namjoon." There's a pause. "No, you don't love me. And neither does your son. Nobody does love me. Look, if you did love me, we wouldn't be having this conversation, because you'd be in bed with me, where you belong."

Yoongi decides to step in and discreetly opens the door, peeking inside to see Mrs Kim sitting on the floor, a pile of dirty tissues around her. She does not see him at first. "This is not about sex. This is about us being a family." Mr Kim says something at the other end of the line, to which Seokjin laughs sourly. "Do whatever you want, but we're two in this game, and let me tell you that I can play too. And maybe not by your rules. Not anymore, Namjoon."

She hangs up and throws her phone behind her on the bed, then looks down, her tears falling on the wooden floor. "Are you going to be alright?"

Mrs Kim starts and turns around. She smiles softly when she recognises Yoongi, who comes sit next to her. She immediately seeks his embrace, and he wraps his arms around her broad shoulders, as she buries her cold, wet nose in his neck.

"Did you hear everything?" she whispers weakly.

"Pretty much all of it. I'm sorry you feel so bad. I had no idea Mr Kim made you suffer like this."

"It's not him, sweetie. It's his stupid job. I just need a presence, and he cannot give this to me anymore."

Yoongi tries to catch her look, as she sits up to face him. "So that's what I am, ma'am? A presence?"

"I don't know what you are, but I need you. And I think I'm not wrong when I say you need me too." Yoongi nods. Seokjin leans a little and gives him a chaste peck on the lips. "I'm grateful for your presence."

"It's not true, you know," Yoongi only says. "What you said earlier. It's not true that you're not loved. Because there's at least one person here caring for you."

Mrs Kim smiles and runs her hand through the boy's dark hair, uncovering his forehead. "You're adorable, Yoongi." She kisses him once more and adds, "I care for you too. A lot."

She glances at the door and asks, "Is Tae sleeping?"

"No, but he didn't even notice I got out. He'll probably fall asleep while playing, as usual."

"Would you mind–" But Mrs Kim blushes and shakes her head. "No, I'm sorry, that's silly of me to ask."

"What is?"

"Forget it. You'd feel uncomfortable. And it's too dangerous anyway."

Yoongi holds her chin and makes her look up to him. "What is?"

"I wanted– I just thought you could sleep here, with me." Seokjin shrugs. "But Taehyung would eventually notice, and you won't even want to–"

"I do want to, Jin."

Mrs Kim smiles from ear to ear and Yoongi cannot help but smile too. They get up, and Yoongi hops on the bed and starts getting under the covers. But Taehyung's mother stops him, "Hum, not here. That's– That's Namjoon's side. Just take mine."

Yoongi shrugs and does as he's told. As Seokjin readjusts her gown and gets into bed too, the young student asks innocently, "Do you mind me only sleeping in my boxers? I can keep my tee-shirt on if you like."

"Well, I like it better without." She smiles and waits for Yoongi to throw his shirt away and cuddle with her under the covers. "Thank you," she whispers and she gropes for his hand. "You'll wake up early and go back to Tae's room, okay?" she adds with a yawn, as she's peacefully falling asleep on Yoongi's chest.

"Okay."