29 - Augmented reality

Jimin is making efforts. He really is. He would do anything to please Taehyung, that is just the way he is; always desperate to finally get his attention. Even if it means only playing by Taehyung's rules. Even if it means only seeing him when Taehyung decides.

And today, Taehyung has decided he wanted to get out. He just needs to be somewhere where Yoongi is not. It is not like he dislikes his presence; he's just always there. And, at the same time, he's not. It is just a disagreeable feeling Taehyung has when his friend is around, and that he cannot quite stand. So he has called Jimin.

And his best friend is genuinely happy to see him, even though he has been sulking all week – well, more like weeks now. Taehyung briefly hugs him and sits on the park bench.

"You didn't bring Yoongi along? I thought he was at your place." But when Jimin asks this, he cannot hide a satisfied smile.

"Nah. Didn't even ask him if he wanted to come." Taehyung shrugs carelessly. "I know he wants to stay at home. And I didn't want him to come, to be honest."

"Oh?" Jimin blushes. And he does not know why he does, because it is only natural for Taehyung and him to meet, just the two of them. 

"I figured we needed to talk." The smaller boy stops smiling, as Taehyung stares at him directly in the eye.

"Y-Yeah?"

Taehyung sighs and jerks his head back, looking at the bright sky. "My head is so messy right now. I–I think I need you." He closes his eyes and continues, "I'm falling in love."

"With...?" Jimin asks, once he has integrated his friend's statement.

Taehyung has a sour laugh. "You know who with." Jimin does not have any idea. Is he talking about Yoongi? About... himself? "Don't make me tell you."

Jimin shudders. They had promised they would never fall in love with each other. Could Taehyung be breaking this promise? Could Jimin break this promise too?

"It's Jungkook," Taehyung finally mumbles. "And before you say anything, yes, I know that I don't exactly know him, and that there's no chance I can get with him. I just feel so stupid for liking him like that."

Jimin raises his eyebrows. He surely did not expect this. Jungkook, his virtual friend? Jungkook, a stranger he had never seen?

"How–"

"I don't know, okay!" Taehyung exclaims. "I guess that all it took was for him to make me feel special, and flirt with me. God the things he says to me, I don't even know if he realises."

"What does he say?" Jimin whispers shyly, as Taehyung produces his phone as a proof.

"What should I do, Jimin-ah?" Taehyung passes a hand through his hair

"What should I do, Jimin-ah?" Taehyung passes a hand through his hair. "Should I ask for his number again? Should I ask to meet him again? I'm just afraid he'll say no."

Jimin shrugs. "Look, I'm not saying you shouldn't but– Do you really know him?"

"I want to know him. I know he's perfect."

"What if you're disappointed in him when you get to know him?"

"At least, I'll have tried. But he can't disappoint me. We're just so similar. I know we'd get on well. And I think he likes me back. I just know he does."

Jimin shakes his head. "This is just madness."

"But I'm mad, Jimin. He drives me crazy. I'm mad for him, do you hear me?"