38 - Hit points

Taehyung tightens his grip on the straps of his backpack and shivers slightly because of the night breeze. He will be reaching the park any minute now.

The streets are oddly silent, only a few cars pass him by, and a few drunkards address him on his way. Taehyung has never been this scared in his life - then again, he has never faced such situation, it is so much different than in the games he plays. He has no gun and does not even know how to use a real one, and there is no "exit" button.

He hears distant barking and starts, but quickly subsides, walking even faster to reach the park. Deeply, he hopes Jungkook will come. He does not want to have to make the way back. Anyway, he swore he would never go back home. Not after what his family has become.

Taehyung takes his phone out of his pocket to check on his in-app messages, but his online friend is oddly silent. He will come, won't he? Taehyung needs him to come.

But what if nothing goes as he has planned? What if Jungkook does not like him in real life? What if he refuses to help? Taehyung has grown so attached to him he will not survive this outcome.

He tries to persuade himself everything will go alright, because Jungkook must care about him, after all the time they have spent playing games together, because surely all this could not be fake.

He knows Jungkook will be all he has ever wanted. He senses he will maybe even want to help and let Taehyung stay at his place for a while.

He smiles a little as he now distinguishes the park's entry, and speeds up towards it. As he is about to push the iron portal to enter, he makes out something coming on his left. He freezes and frowns.

"Jimin?" Taehyung calls, confused. "What are you doing here that late?"

His best friend looks up from his phone and stops walking in the middle of the sidewalk. He tries to say something, but apparently fails. He cautiously comes up to Taehyung instead and tries to smile to him.

Taehyung knows Jimin lives a few blocks away from the park, but still remains puzzled, unable to utter a word or ask another question.

"It's me, Tae," Jimin finally whispers.

"Yeah, I know it's you." Taehyung shakes his head and nervously glances at the outskirts of the park forest. He looks back at his friend and shrugs, "Well, you'll have to excuse me, I'm actually looking for someone."

He awkwardly waves at the other teenager and pushes the portal which opens in a creaking sound. After a few steps inside the park, he hears Jimin shout behind him, "It's me!"

Taehyung slowly turns around, searching for Jimin's eyes. His friend looks like he is on the verge of bursting into tears.

Before Taehyung can say anything, Jimin adds desperately, "I'm captainkook97. I'm Jungkook." His voice breaks and he breathes, "And I'm sorry."