6 - Battle Royale

Taehyung is gladly talking on the phone with Jimin, sprawled on his bed. He really cares for Jimin, and he particularly likes chitchatting with him, because that is what they have always done, it is just what makes them best friends. He likes to hear Jimin laugh at his jokes and sigh in exasperation when Taehyung mentions his video games. He knows his friend is not fond of him playing so much, but he is grateful he understands his hobby all the same.

Taehyung's TV screen is on full display, as usual, even though he is not using his console. On the phone, he can hear Jimin ask about his parents. Taehyung vaguely mumbles something as a reply. Jimin never really gets to see the Kims, because his own parents forbid him to sleep over at Taehyung's place.

Taehyung's attention is suddenly drawn towards the TV when he hears a light tune. A tab has appeared on the screen, informing him he has just received an invitation. He quickly checks the username – it is indeed "captainkook97". Taehyung cannot help but smile, and interrupts Jimin on the phone, "Hey, my mom's just called me to the kitchen, I think it's urgent. Do you mind if I hang up?"

There is a silence on the other line. Then Jimin just whispers a simple "Okay", and leaves. Taehyung feels bad for lying, but he knows Jimin would have made a scene if he had told him he just wanted to play with his new friend.

He clicks on "ACCEPT", and energically starts a conversation. His interlocutor's voice sounds distant, yet familiar, because they spent the previous night talking to each other. It is almost as if Taehyung had learned overnight the boy's every tone of voice, every speech mannerism, his way of laughing and of weakly insulting him when he loses. Taehyung feels as if he has known him forever, as if they were meant to meet.

The boy's soft voice finally takes him out of his petrifying reverie, "Do you want to play on survival mode?"

"Aye-aye, captain!" Taehyung exclaims. His friend laughs at the pun he made with his pseudonym, and they start playing.

Taehyung is really having fun with the boy, although he does not know him and has only played with him for two nights. He is just so proud of him when he manages to learn new moves, when he does not just get himself killed, or when he helps Taehyung's avatar. He is getting so much better, and they actually can play for real now.

But he still feels uneasy about his online friend being totally unknown to him. He has never made any real friends while playing. But he knows it is different with captainkook97.

"Hey, can I ask you something personal?" he finally blurts out.

He can hear the other boy laugh through his headset. "Yeah, I'm single," his interlocutor answers cheekily.

"What? N–No, I wasn't– I just–" As he realizes his friend was actually making fun of him, he groans and asks anyway, "What's your name?" He tries to add in a lighter tone, "I hope it's better than your pseudo."

"It's Jungkook. You?"

"Taehyung." Taehyung thinks for a moment and decides he likes the name Jungkook. He ventures to ask again, "And how old are you? I'm sixteen."

"Too many questions. Let's just say you'd be my hyung."

"Is being mysterious a flirting strategy? Because if it is, let me tell you it's as efficient as the one time you tried to fight me with a bamboo stick because you had no ammunition left."

"This is not flirting, because I know I'm way out of your league. Hyung."