34 - Error in the system

"I followed your mother," Namjoon tells his son. "Yesterday, when I told you guys I couldn't make it home earlier as planned, I actually did. Just to make sure of what she'd do with that extra time. And here's what she did."

[The day before]

Seokjin hears her ringtone and smiles. She shouts something to Taehyung, about going to the mall and being back before midnight, and gets out. Yoongi is waiting outside their building, his back leaning against the wall, his hands in his jeans pockets. Mrs Kim blushes and kisses him on the cheek. "Hey," she whispers.

"You look... different," the boy comments, detailing her shorts and white shirt. "I mean, you look beautiful, you always do. But this... is not you. Why are you wearing men's clothes?"

Mrs Kim shrugs and mumbles shyly, "People– They don't understand. I can't go out and dress as I like, they'd stare and judge and– It's easier for everyone if I just dress normally."

Yoongi tries to protest, but he gets a gentle tap on the head when he starts swearing. "Be good," his lover orders. "I'm taking you somewhere fancy."

They do not dare hold hands as they walk – Seokjin is too stressed out for this. The two of them finally stop in front of a huge restaurant, that Yoongi immediately categorises as luxurious.

Soon, a very young waitress comes up to them with a radiant, artificial smile, and welcomes her clients, before beckoning to them, "Follow me, gentlemen!"

But Yoongi does not move, and frowns, annoyed. "It's not gentlemen, she's–"

"Baby, it's okay," Seokjin whispers to him, taking his hand to drag him inside.

They finally sit, facing each other, a little isolated from the other clients – Seokjin's demand – next to a window overlooking the street. The waitress turns to the oldest and asks with a smile, "What will you have for a drink, sir?"

Yoongi clenches his fists, but says nothing. After Seokjin informs her kindly, apparently impervious to her misusing the pronouns, the waitress continues, still talking to the married woman, "And for your son?" She quickly glances at Yoongi.

He corrects abruptly, "I'm not her son."

The young waitress seems confused, because of his tone, and because of the pronoun he used. But she takes his order and gets away, frowning.

Yoongi takes a look at his lover. She makes no comment, and only takes his hand in hers, smiling to him. "I'm glad you could come," she says sweetly. "I was afraid you might find it too uncomfortable to go out in public with me."

"Why? Because I'd be ashamed?" Seokjin nods, looking down. Yoongi squeezes her hands and affirms, "Jin, you know I care a lot about you, right? You know that I've never cared for someone in my life as much as I do for you? I don't know what that is I'm feeling, but I'm ready to do anything for you, even go out in public with an older, married woman."

Yoongi almost spends the entire evening reassuring her, and preventing her from suggesting they go every time someone stares at them a little too intently. But he also spends it showing just how precious she is to him, and he can see how much she loves him, how much she feels happy with him. Just seeing her smile is worth the ordeal of going out in town as a couple.

The waitress finally comes back, bringing the bill, asking them if everything went alright, and places the paper and paying machine next to Mrs Kim. As she is about to take out her credit card, Yoongi blurts out, a bit briskly, "Bold of you to assume. I'll be the one paying. She's my girlfriend and I'm inviting her."