44 - Elo hell

Taehyung swallows the rest of his cornflakes as his father gathers his stuff in the next room. Mr Kim waves at his son and says, "See you tonight, Tae? I'll be home by ten."

"Ten?" the boy replies in a high-pitched voice. "You said you'd be there for dinner..."

"I said I'd try." Namjoon sighs and comes back to the kitchen, putting a hand on Taehyung's shoulder. "You know it's not going to be easy, but I'm trying all I can, son. We talked about this, didn't we?"

"Yes, dad," he mumbles, disappointed.

"Hey, didn't I take the weekend off to be with you? To go to that gaming event in Busan?" His father is smiling, but he just looks exhausted. "Won't that be something?"

"Yeah, can't wait."

Namjoon ruffles the teenager's hair and leaves the brand new apartment he's bought for himself and Taehyung. Taehyung does like it, it is much more modern than their old one, but it feels emptier. He does not miss his mother, whom he has not seen for more than a month now, but he misses everything he was used to.

He feels emptier inside. He has not only lost his mother the day he walked out on her, he also lost one of his friends. And if he got Jimin back, he lost Jungkook. He never mentions him, but something did break in him when Jungkook disappeared. His fake friend had been the connection between Taehyung and his video games for many months, and now he just can no longer touch his console. He just progressively lost the interest and will to play. He is just tired of everything.

Taehyung sighs and washes his bowl and spoon before leaving for school. He waves at Jimin who is talking to Hoseok and Yoongi in the hallway, and his best friend hops towards him, kissing his cheek as he gets in front of him. In the distance, he sees Hoseok nod to him. Taehyung chooses to ignore Yoongi, like always.

"Are you coming with us at lunch? We're not going for the cafeteria, Yoongi's buying us takeaway!"

Taehyung frowns slightly. He does not cringe right away – he has lost the energy of being angry at anyone, he just does not care. "With what money?"

"Didn't you hear? He took a job in a bakery."

"But didn't he already work in a coffee shop?" he asks carelessly.

"He took an extra one to pay for– Well, he needed more money," Jimin baffles.

Taehyung knows what Yoongi needs the money for. Now he has left his parents' house to live with Seokjin, they both need to work to pay for the rent. Taehyung has heard his father talking to his mother on the phone, saying he'd lend her money so she can live, but that she'd have to find a job soon – which she had, for she apparently works in a flower shop now. Taehyung wonders why his father even bothered. Maybe he still loves her. And he cannot see why.

"So are you coming or not?" Jimin repeats as they head for their next class.

"My dad prepared my lunch box." Seeing Jimin's questioning look, he adds, "He promised he'd be more present at home. I guess cooking and preparing lunch boxes is part of that."

His best friend nods and says shyly, "You know, Yoongi-hyung asked me to invite you. I think he really wants you to come."

Taehyung shrugs. "Okay. But I'm not talking to him."

"Cool! I'll text him, then."