42 - 1-up

When the weekend starts, Hoseok, who had left for work in the morning, finally sends a text to Taehyung, telling him to meet him at the funfair, which is near the Jungs' borough. As he is excited to finally do something, Taehyung jumps off Hoseok's bed to leave his apartment, after thanking his mother for he does not really know what, and waving goodbye to the little girl beside her. He never really liked funfairs, or going outside, but that was his only option not to grumble all day.

He quickly gets there and waits by the carousel, just as his friend told him, keeping checking his phone screen for messages. He was at first surprised that Hoseok should get a break from work this early in the day, especially for a Saturday, but he understands why when he sees who is heading towards him through the amusement park. 'Damn Hoseok,' Taehyung internally swears.

"Hey," a weak voice hails. Taehyung barely looks up at the newcomer. "Before you leave, I'd like to say something."

"No use. I'm not listening to anything you've got to say." He meets Jimin's gaze and witnesses how hurt he feels. Does Taehyung care? He tries not to.

"So you hate me now?" There is no answer. "Was it that easy? It took, what, ten minutes to turn twelve years of friendship into hatred? Are you that easy to influence, Tae? I even made you fall for a stranger. I can make you believe anything. When will you grow up?"

"What are you trying to say?" Taehyung asks bitterly, clenching his jaw.

"I'm saying that this makes no sense. Sure, I should've never done this, because it hurt you. But you have to realise what a fool you've been too. We were two in this game."

Taehyung makes a step forward and angrily lifts his fist as if to punch Jimin but stops in mid-air. Jimin gently places a hand on his friend's tight fist and tries to lower it. "You forgot everything around you just for this boy, just for your video games. You couldn't see anything but them. You've been so blind you couldn't even see you were losing your best friend, you couldn't see what happened between your mother and your friend under your own roof."

Taehyung is slightly panting, trying to digest everything. And for once, it seems like he is hearing Jimin, and listening. He does not like what he hears. But he cannot help but find truth in this. Taehyung feels his friend's thumb caress the back of his hand.

"I know you're still grieving Jungkook somehow, but–"

"Let's just not mention him," the other teenager cuts him off. He opens his fist and catches Jimin's fingers in his. "I– I want to forget about him. Because he's not you, he could never have been you." Jimin beams bashfully but lets him go on. "I've had time this week at Hoseok's to think this through. To be honest, it was the only thing I could actually do. But I figured I couldn't just shut everyone out. Because it was... my fault." Taehyung closes his eyes, as if it were painful to say this. "It was my fault, because I was self-centered, and I couldn't see you needed me. And maybe I just needed you too." Taehyung now holds both Jimin's hands, and whispers, "I guess what I've been looking for in Jungkook was just you."

His best friend nods silently. "But," he finally replies, "I just don't know anymore, Tae. I don't know how to be friends with you anymore. All we've shared, all the flirting... I don't know if our friendship can be saved, maybe I just killed it off by having this stupid crush on you and getting you to fall in love with me..."

"We'll overcome this. We just have to try and learn how to be friends again." Taehyung slightly opens his arms to embrace the smaller boy, who throws himself in them. "No more secrets," he continues in a murmur, "no more of this love and hate game."

Jimin holds him tighter as a yes. "I missed you," he breathes in the taller boy's neck. When they pull apart, he smiles and discreetly dries a single tear in the corner of his eye. "So, shall we at least have a bit of fun here?"

"Are you kidding me?" Taehyung replies, appalled. "You know I don't like these places."

"Come on, you just hate funfairs because once you ate too many churros and threw up. That was ten years ago." Jimin is now laughing at his face.

Taehyung gently punches his shoulder. "I'm not eating any of those ever again." Jimin smirks. "You're not thinking about this."

"Yes, I am. I'm paying, you're eating."

Taehyung sulks the whole way to the candy shop of the funfair, but ends up gaping at Jimin after the first bite in his churro. "Why did you never tell me how good this actually was?"

"You like it?" Jimin laughs. "Try it with chocolate, it's even better."

Jimin grins when he sees Taehyung smile with pleasure at his next bites. They roam around the amusement park, finally talking and laughing together, almost like before.

"Do you want to get in there?" Jimin shyly asks once they are done eating, pointing at the arcade of the funfair.

Taehyung pauses for a moment, listening to the multiple buzzes and tunes of the place. "Are you sure about this?" he mumbles darkly. "I'm not sure I want to play video games right now."

Jimin looks down. "I just wanted to play with you. For real." He insists, pleading, "It will be like a new start. Okay?"

"Okay." And Taehyung almost feels as if this 'okay' was a 'Yes, I forgive you'.

They take place at some car game, and quickly, Taehyung subsides, the more he gets back into his element. But instead of insults, of violence, the only thing the games get out of him is laughter. Playing with Jimin makes him happy.

"I'm not asking you how you managed to improve your gaming skills," Taehyung teases.

Jimin worriedly glances at him. He thought Taehyung's remark was bitter-sweet, but it actually was playful. Of course, Taehyung still senses what is left over from Jungkook in Jimin, but it is nothing bad. He just plays his favourite type of games with his best friend. They are playing video games together – really together – for the first time.